What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs Tripper, her sister & her 21 yr old son & I went to Nawlins for 4 daze... some kinda fun!!! Christmas day we had a really killer brunch at the hotel & cruised the Quarter & had us a few more! These SAntas were hangin' out at an Irish pub... haha! We stay @ my fav hotel, The Royal Sonesta, right on Bourbon... it's a beautiful hotel, has killer music in the bar & they always deck it out in style! We also spent the night gambling on our way back in Lake Charles, La & I actually won $7.25. Anytime I walk away with most of my $$$... I consider it a win but I usually make up for any losses guzzlin' the free booze though! [ddd[ddd[ddd

Cheers ya'll!!!

BoB

Looks like a pretty fancy hotel, Bob. Never been there but I'm sure it's a fun place.

I had the whole week off last week and of course it rained most of the time. I don't have a shop that I can pull my car in, but I have lots of driveway room.
It was warm and sunny Friday and Saturday so I jacked up the Rambler and ran tailpipes from the muffler back. When I got the car it had 2.5" pipes from the header collectors back to short turbo mufflers and that was it. I got a new HF fluxcore mig welder a couple of weeks ago, or a splatter box as I like to call it. I just got if for sheet metal, I have a stick welder for heavier work. Yeah the little welder is crap, but it does a good job on thin stuff. BTW I saw a great tip somewhere - spray PAM cooking spray where you don't want splatter to stick! It works. So anyway the mufflers were welded to a 2.5" inlet pipe with a flange a foot or so in front of the mufflers. I welded 2.5" 45's to the mufflers and extended them to just in front of the rear wheels. It's close but it fits. I used 45 turnouts to bring it out even. The mufflers were close mounted to not very flexible mounts which shook the whole car. I put some good mounts about half way from the mufflers to the back and now it's secure and not too loud. I put some motorcycle baffles in the end of the pipes and then attached the turnouts with tec screws so that I could pull the baffles out if need be. Sounds great.
That was Fri. and Sat. Sunday started out at 43 and I figured it would warm up so I set about changing the rear brakes. It did not warm up, the temp dropped into the 30's with misting rain and gusty wind. Four hours later I finally got the brakes bled and with new everything including drums it now stops almost as well as it goes. It's in the 20's for the next couple of days and then warming up into the 60's this week which means it will be raining again. I hope to rebuild the s10 steering next weekend. Fun stuff...

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 17
It takes lots of time to keep the old Tripper's place mowed & trimmed & I've had a serious bout of Spring cleaning fever lately. While trimming weeds I uncovered a trailer wheel I mutilated & decided it was time to finally build that grinder stand I've been saying I was gonna build... today was the day! Found a raunchy piece of pipe & had some 1/4" plate & got busy! [;)[;)[;)

BoB

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
Good one Bob. I always thought a bench grinder had to be bolted to a bench.[S

For the last month I've been fighting pain in both hips that spread to my rear end and groin. Could hardly walk or bend forward. I quit my statin drug with doctor's permission thinking that might be the cause. It's happened before just not as hard, long and extensive. Couldn't find a comfortable position to sit or to sleep. Miserable. Have been relegated to doing bench work in the garage. This afternoon the pain started to recede. So maybe there's hope...

Good one Bob. I always thought a bench grinder had to be bolted to a bench.[S

For the last month I've been fighting pain in both hips that spread to my rear end and groin. Could hardly walk or bend forward. I quit my statin drug with doctor's permission thinking that might be the cause. It's happened before just not as hard, long and extensive. Couldn't find a comfortable position to sit or to sleep. Miserable. Have been relegated to doing bench work in the garage. This afternoon the pain started to recede. So maybe there's hope...

Bob, same here! Statins make my joints ache horribly, especially my feet, knees and hips! Another issue for many people is loss of short term memory (Like I don’t have enough problems with that already)! After I started eating more veggies, my cholesterol level took a huge dive and my Dr has finally stopped trying to make me take statins!

Beercan

Tripper, you'll like that stand. I moved mine from the bench and put it on similar set up. You can put it anywhere. And it doesn't throw crap all over the bench. Eyesight around here is fading. This makes it easy to put it in better light.[cl

I've had my own probs with statins too. They make my feet hurt *really* bad, they make my ankles stiffen up & I can barely walk. My Doc recommended I take CoQ10 to stop that but that didn't work either. I refuse to take them anymore & instead changed my diet & my cholesterol's down too. I grow & eat lots of salads & have oatmeal for breakfast... that's done the trick! Lost weight too!

And it doesn't throw crap all over the bench. [cl

That's the main reason... I get sick tired of all the metal powder all over my bench. I'd rather sweep it up off the floor!

BoB

Bob W, I just went through a bout of excruciating pain in the same areas. the only thing the Dr.s found Was that my core muscles needed strengthening.After a month of physical therapy I was back to normal.

Went to the Doc today. Bursitis in the outside part of the hips and arthritis in the inner part. Got steroid shots for the Bursitis and will wait to see if the arthritis needs any treatment. Also got some stretches and exercises to do. Doc thought the statin could be the cause of all this, just like some of you have experienced.

With two by-pass surgeries in my past I'm reluctant to quit all cholesterol medicines altogether.

I appreciate the information and experiences you guys have posted. Thank you.

Bob, same here! Statins make my joints ache horribly, especially my feet, knees and hips! Another issue for many people is loss of short term memory (Like I don’t have enough problems with that already)! After I started eating more veggies, my cholesterol level took a huge dive and my Dr has finally stopped trying to make me take statins!

Beercan

I am currently on these Statins, (heart attack and stent in 08 because of high cholesterol.) I feel fine, no problems, Doc gave me a clean bill of health. Watching what I eat and I still recognize the guy in the mirror.

Speaking of the guy in the mirror, ever hear of the iconic painting by Edvard Munch called called "The Scream"?

blog-e-agora.jpg

Well I used that to disguise the missing trunk lock. From far it looks like a pin stripe design but when you get close, you scream. Fits the car perfect.

Attachments

• scream.jpg
    scream.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 20
Picked up a couple of things I've been looking for at a local swap meet
this weekend....

attachment.php

really wanted an old one ....but couldn't pass up the deal....
attachment.php

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 007 (2).jpg
    007 (2).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back