1965 Fargo 100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather here sucks, cold and snow so it's a little cramped in the shop. Got the 90 Chevy stripped of everything. Now I can start figuring out out fitting the Fargo on the chassis.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Chevy frame 007.JPG
    Resize of Chevy frame 007.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Resize of Chevy frame 008.JPG
    Resize of Chevy frame 008.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 172
  • Resize of Chevy frame 009.JPG
    Resize of Chevy frame 009.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Resize of Chevy frame 010.JPG
    Resize of Chevy frame 010.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Resize of Chevy frame 011.JPG
    Resize of Chevy frame 011.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Resize of Chevy frame 006.JPG
    Resize of Chevy frame 006.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 172
So now the disassembly is started the first order of business is to make the long box a short box.

What's your plan for the "sweptline"? (Looks to me, like the line drops as it goes back from the cab.) Is a short bed stamped different than a regular long bed? [S

One of my pet peeves is panel alignment... ratty rat rods excluded... anything painted and finished should have better alignment than the "high-dollar" example below!

feature_253-e1450746710453-1024x594.jpg

What's your plan for the "sweptline"? (Looks to me, like the line drops as it goes back from the cab.) Is a short bed stamped different than a regular long bed? [S

One of my pet peeves is panel alignment... ratty rat rods excluded... anything painted and finished should have better alignment than the "high-dollar" example below!

Color mismatch between panels is pretty rough too.

so cool that is it gonna be a short box when done [cl

l had a 66 long box years ago and regret selling it:(

Later :cool:

Thanks Skull

I hear ya Doc, that 64 was very poorly assembled. Before I agreed to this project I did quite a lot of research and measuring. Last summer at the Street Wheeler weekend in Lethbridge there were three shortbox Dodge versions that I was allowed to study take pictures of and measure.
The swept body line on the box has about 17.5 inches that run parallel at the front before it starts it sweep down, out of that I have to take 14 inches. The back runs parallel for 8 inches and I have to take out 5.75.
I was just going to rush in and shorten the box first, but have since though it may be better to fit the cab and clip to the frame, then if I have to adjust the shorten a little here or there I still can. [;)[;)

Color mismatch between panels is pretty rough too.

Agreed, it's horrible!

The swept body line on the box has about 17.5 inches that run parallel at the front before it starts it sweep down, out of that I have to take 14 inches. The back runs parallel for 8 inches and I have to take out 5.75.
I was just going to rush in and shorten the box first, but have since though it may be better to fit the cab and clip to the frame, then if I have to adjust the shorten a little here or there I still can. [;)[;)

Thanks for the explanation. [cl I'll look forward to the slice and dice!

Finally a little progress. Not an easy task by one's self. I cut off all the Chevy cab and clip mounts, and pulled the inner fender skirts off the Fargo clip. Set the clip on the frame horns at the front and couple stands at the back. Then made an attachment for my engine lift that went in through the drivers side window and lifted the cab across the underside of the roof, and set it in place. Shimmed the cab for frame clearance and level, then bolted the clip to it. I had to take the clip back off and trim the top side of the front frame horns down by an inch to lower the rad support to align the body lines.

The fire wall had to be notched a little for the trans and distributor, I am also going to move the motor ahead 2.5 inches.

Tell me if you think the front tires are in the right spot in the wheel openings.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of testfit 001.JPG
    Resize of testfit 001.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Resize of testfit 002.JPG
    Resize of testfit 002.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Resize of testfit 003.JPG
    Resize of testfit 003.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Resize of testfit 004.JPG
    Resize of testfit 004.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 102
The owner of the Fargo came out for the weekend for a visit and marathon build session.
We got the rad shell mounts sorted out, as well as the front cab mounts off the Fargo frame shortened and tacked in place to bolt the cab down. Then we cut, shortened and lowered the rear frame rails to match the Fargo frame. The diff is tack welded in place and I well have to c notch the frame for clearance once the four link goes in. Will also be ordering a set of 2"drop spindles for the front.

Rolled it outside for a good look see.:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Shortened 007.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 007.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Resize of Shortened 001.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 001.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Resize of Shortened 002.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 002.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Resize of Shortened 003.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 003.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Resize of Shortened 005.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 005.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Resize of Shortened 004.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 004.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Resize of Shortened 006.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 006.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Resize of Shortened 008.JPG
    Resize of Shortened 008.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 132
Cool project dozer. Are there plans to paint it or is it going to remain as is? From here the body looks to be in pretty good shape, paint included.
Looking forward to see how this one turns out regardless.

Looking good!

Thanks snopro

Cool project dozer. Are there plans to paint it or is it going to remain as is? From here the body looks to be in pretty good shape, paint included.
Looking forward to see how this one turns out regardless.

Thanks Gunz, the body is really good for its age but the rockers and front cab supports are very rusty, I can get replacement panels for them. It's going to end up with a very shiny Hemi orange and black paint job.

Looks great! Can’t beat the old TBI small block for reliability.

Thanks Falcon, we will probably be installing a Yearone 400hp crate engine in it. :D

I really like this project.

Thanks Bob

I need some experienced eyes to look at my plan for the slice and dice, the white poster board area will be removed. Hoping to fire up the cutting disc in the morning, if my work phone will stay quiet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Pre Slice and dice 001.JPG
    Resize of Pre Slice and dice 001.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 71
  • Resize of Pre Slice and dice 002.JPG
    Resize of Pre Slice and dice 002.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Resize of Pre Slice and dice 003.JPG