Electrickery fuel pumps...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

hey all..

my studes electric fuel pump , has shown signs of imminent failure.

went shopping for a replacement . picked up a 4-6psi 96gph , which just stopped working around 3 mins after starting the car.. needless to say i was a bit unhappy - id spent 1.5hrs tidying up someones mess as the same time..

im wondering what you guys use in the way of electric fuel pumps? recommend them or prefer mechanical?

keen to hear all thoughts / suggestions ..

thanks 'crate

ps the original 259 mech pump was in place when i got the car , but i suspect had blown a diaphram due to oil blasting out of the breather hole.

ive replaced mech pump with a SBC blanking plate - nice fit too..

Crate, I like the little Facett pumps. They come in several different pressures and hose sizes. Mr Gasket and Purolater both also have a version of them, too.

Mechanical on mine too but have run electrics. both usually work well for long periods. Have you proven everything else good? The first pump was failing and the replacement went out. Could there be a blocked fuel line or something electrical that's killing pumps?

Last edited:
Mechanical on mine too but have run electrics. both usually work well for long periods. Have you proven everything else good? The first pump was failing and the replacement went out. Could there be a blocked fuel line or something electrical that's killing pumps?

slowly been working all the bugs with car ,, the mech pump was a repro part . ive since found out there was a batch of faulty ones that had an oil seal put in backwards as a result oil leaks out the diaphram breather hole. strip and assemble has proven i cant solve it.
the electric replacement just isnt sucking the fuel up , and should be close to the gas tank not the engine room where it is .. ( this one has fueled the car inb the 6motnths ive had it)
wiring is good ..
sigh

Holley blue, no more than 24" from the tank, with regulator and return line to the tank. Set to 6 to 7 psi.
If you don't run a return line, the pump will dead head and fail.

I run elec pumps for 2 reasons. They can be used as a theft deterrent & I like to route my gas lines from the firewall instead of the front of the engine! Never had one fail! :D

BoB

Generally speaking, electric pumps push better than they pull... ideally, the pump should be close to the tank and "wet" by gravity...

thanks all

Tripper in interested to know how these 'lectric pumps foil would be robbers,,

Dr C thanks ill keep that in mind .. these are new to me -- usually ive run mech pumps...

ive ordered a Carter mechanical pump from rockauto today ,, will go argue with electric pump retailer tomorrow... dont think ill use it .. may be handy for the dodge project.. space issues and all that

The guys are right, an electric pump won't suck fuel very far, it wants to push, not pull.

I generally use mechanical pumps unless there's some reason I can't. I have 30,000+ KM on the mechanical pump on my 46 and it's the pump that was on the 70,000 KM engine when I got it, not a single problem. I've had to replace one mechanical pump on the side of the road in another vehicle on a trip and a friends pump in a parking lot on a trip. Easy and quick to change, much simpler typically.

Tripper in interested to know how these 'lectric pumps foil would be robbers.

Crate,
If a thief is intent on stealing your ride it's pretty hard to stop them but not supplying elec to the pump and/or coil will probably slow a quickie theft down. I use multiple deterrents on my cars!

BoB

Always a good mechanical pump whenever possible! Most electric pumps are Chinese junk, no matter where they are "assembled". I've never had a mechanical pump that I installed let me down. I also don't care for the noise of an electric, just doesn't fit the old car vibe IMO.

Latest posts

Back