Another new guy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sakustoms

Well, here goes. I have been wanting to build a rod of some kind for so long it hurts. :D I found this site from a buddy and I am sure glad he told me about it.

My name is Eric. I'm from Northeast PA area. I have been into cars/truck since age 11 and can't seem to get enough. I have built mostly muscle cars but lately have been building airride equipped minitrucks. About a year and a half ago I decided to open my own shop and things have been going slowly but going along. Not a lot of guys that are into minis have money to be shelling out to shops for work. But, my shop is part time as I already have a 40hr a week job. I probably spend anywhere from 25 - 50 hrs a week at the shop depending on the weekend. I am divorced and have my kids every other weekend so that's my weekend off.

I started this business mostly for my 17yr old son to have something for the future since he is into this stuff just like his old man.

If anyone wants to check out some of our current/past work check out our gallery. http://www2.sakustoms.com/gallery

That about sums it up for me. Any questions just ask.. :D

later - Eric

Eric, welcome to the site. I owned a shop for a time back in the 80's. Seems like the hobby crowd rarely has a lot of money to spend. It was a rollercoaster ride of really busy, or really slow. I hope you can keep it going.
Glad you found us here.

Welcome to the forum. Yep, it is hard to get decent wages out of car hobbyists, and I know first hand what you mean about the mini-truck guys. My Sons used to build bagged s10's and everybody wanted bags and slanted license plates and Caddy taillights, but nobody had any money when time came to pay. They go to slamfests and see all these megabuck trucks and want one, but suffer from the old "beer budget, champaigne taste" syndrom. They didn't realize how much money both of my Son's had in their trucks.

I hope your business grows and survives, maybe the way to help it is to sell parts and accessories retail. A friend of mine owned Hot Rod and Custom Supply, and his business got big not from the local guys, but from his mailorder business. Maybe something to consider. :)

I also like the thing about you and your Son being involved together. That is the best part. :D

Don

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. I checked out your gallery. Cool pics. I think my favorite was the 70 Coupe Deville. Did you do anything else to it? Those have always been my favorite cadillacs.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. This place has been awesome so far. I have seen so many cool cars and trucks. I can't wait until I can find the time and money to start on my own T.

bonehead - Thanks for the kind words. I sure hope we make it.

Tripper - The pics are all located in my gallery at the link I gave. But here's a couple for ya to gander at.

IMG_2959.sized.jpg

DSCN0837.sized.jpg

This is my toyota truck. This is prostreet on airride with the frame laying on the ground when aired out.

DSCN2349.sized.jpg

And of course, everyone should have an old school gangster caddy. 70 coupe deville. This one will probably get airride if I keep it long enough.

DSCN2341_001.sized.jpg

don - I agree that the best part is working with my son. I don't think I want to get into selling parts because this is just a part time gig for me. Selling involves too much. If my distributor offered one of those websites where I could resell and not have to do any upfront work I would get into that.

hotroddon - Not sure about the caddy. Actually trying to sell it now. We'll see.

And thank you to everyone else for the kind words.

PS. I tried to post more images but it wouldn't let me.

Eric

Here are a couple more.

DSCN1628.sized.jpg

DSCN2202.sized.jpg

This is my sons 95 S10 we are building. It's chopped 4" and will be bodydropped about 5.5" so it sets on the doors with the rockers cutoff. Overall roof height will be about 44.5". Also has a 350/th350 combo. And I know the airbag brackets look crooked. We didn't do the airride but we are redoing it so it's right.

DSCN2089.sized.jpg

DSCN2092.sized.jpg

More to come later. lol.

Latest posts

Back