Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A!

Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A! Tranny, rear end, drivetrain related stuff... shift it... grind it... pop da clutch!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Gonna rebuild my rear end.

When I got the 8 inch Ford rear that I am using under my rpu project I knew it would need resealed, gear oil was running out of the front seal behind the yoke. I thought beyond that problem there would be nothing to do but clean it up and paint it. But when I removed it there were several chipped teeth, so now I realize it needs a new gear set too.

I have never rebuilt a rear end center section, I usually just buy a rebuilt one from one of the companies who do that and put it in. But I want to save some money on this one, plus I want to learn how to do it myself.....it can't be rocket surgery !

There are some pretty good YouTube videos on how to do a 9 incher and the 8 isn't all that much different, so I will be using those videos to guide me through it (plus any advice I can get from some of you on here, as I go along)

My plan is to disassemble the whole thing down to the bare center section housing, clean all the grease and grime off in a solvent bath, and then sand blast the front of the housing so I can paint it when done. I am going to call Summit tomorrow and order a 3.55 gear set, plus a rebuild kit that has all the bearings, seals, etc to do the job.

I will take lots of pictures along the way and post them, in case there might be something in it for someone else. It will also let the guys who know how to do this see if I am screwing up anywhere along the line. I have a dial indicator to set the preload and backlash, but will have to make some sort of jig to hold the whole thing steady while I load parts into the housing.

Worst that can happen is that I have a whining rear end that leaks like mad, and that is what I got when I purchased the last 9 inch posi from a "reputable" guy who does this all the time. Wish me luck.

Don
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

This will be interesting to me. I wish you were dealing with a Dana. I'm getting mentally prepared to go thru the same thing you did on mine. No real problems but I see a little runout on the DS axle. I'm expecting other things...
Old 04-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I bet if you go on YouTube there will be lots of videos on how to rebuild that Dana. Last night I watched the two videos I saved on how to do my 8 inch Ford rear and the guy really goes into great detail.

I just ordered my gears, the installation kit, and a gauge set to measure the pinion depth. Last night I dug out the Starret dial indicator set I have had stored for years and found that the face of the gauge is peeling paint. It is chipping so bad it keeps the needle from going back to zero. So I just ordered a new one with this order.

I debated back and forth with myself about going with 3.55 gears or 3.80 gears and settled on the 3.55 set. The one thing I dislike about my 27 is the deep 4.30 gears and I want this car to be sort of my longer distance driver, so highway gears will be much more pleasant. But I was tempted to get the 3.80's just because I am old fashioned.

Should have the gears and parts by Monday or so. Now I can start cleaning and disassembling the old rear end center section to get ready.

Don

I went to the shop tonight and started soaking the center section in a bucket of kerosene to get 49 years of grime off before I start tearing it apart. The thing was Nasty ! Kind of a dumb picture, but it's all I got.

Last edited by donsrods; 04-17-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

don't know what size tires you have or the transmission, but if no OD, a set of 3.00 gears would be the clear ticket for highway running and much improved MPG.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Yeah Don, I've found all kinds of info online on the Dana. You just seem to go in depth real well on your posts and would be easy to follow. I ain't skeered!!! heheh! I think your choice on gears will be ok. Mine has a posi 3.07. It should roll out ok but I'm sure it wouldn't be real inpressive on a launch...I'm hoping to be wrong on that...

Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I think you will like those 3.07 gears more than you think. My Son has 2.79's in his T bucket with a sbf engine, and it pulls like mad. When I am following him and we leave a light I have to push mine to hang with him, and I am running 4.30's. I would have stayed with the 3.00 gears this rear had if they hadn't been chipped.

Today the first part of my Summit order showed up, I got the pinion setting tool.

The rest of the order, the gear set and the installation kit, are coming from Ohio and should be here by Tuesday, I think. In the meantime I am still soaking the center section to get some of the gunk off of it. So maybe next week I can start disassembling it. Until I get the center section done I can't get this thing up on wheels, and that is my goal for right now.

Don
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Got Fins?

I've never rebuilt one either Don, will be good to see it done on here!
1st start up on propane
1st real drive
Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I've done a few 9" and they are not difficult at all.
You won't have any trouble with whining since it's a new gear set.
My 40 has 2.54 gears and I love them especially with the 3.06 low gear ratio of the 700r4.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I like your gear choice. But, as you may remember, I like big cams too.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:29 PM
The Rat Master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
I've done a few 9" and they are not difficult at all.
You won't have any trouble with whining since it's a new gear set.
My 40 has 2.54 gears and I love them especially with the 3.06 low gear ratio of the 700r4.
2.54 with a 700, what kind of RPM you turning at 70 mph in OD?

Toll Free 855-TBUCKET