Bolt pattern ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

I just purchased a 1933 Chevy 2 door. it came with a 6 and I believe it is either a 230 or 250, it also has a Power Glide tranny. I am going to swap in a Small Block I have in the shop and I am wondering is the Bolt Pattern the same on these hot water six's as it is on the small block? Car is not here yet so I can't just look maybe someone on here knows. Thanks Guys

Roland

DR. I took a 216 out of a 49 truck and left the trans in it (3 speed) and bolted a 1971 327 engine to that 49 trans I think the top bolts had to go in from the inside of the bell housing ( I think) I know something was odd I dont remember what ,, been back in the late 80s I did this and I put a floor shifter in it and the only way I could make it work was to have second and third backwards ..

49.jpg this is the one I put the 327 in ,,, it would only go about 50 or 55 but you could start out in 2 gear and be there in about 10 seconds

Last edited:
Yankee: Thanks for the pics. [cl

Assuming the 327 bellhousing came from a passenger car, you'd have the perfect pattern combination.

Starting in '48 (I believe) trucks began using the passenger car trans pattern... meaning, the 327 bellhousing could accept the '49 trans at the rear and the 327 at the front.

I suspect you had a similar combination. Short of an adapter, this is the only way I can figger it. [S

71.jpg

this is what I took it out of ,, it didnt have any adapter ... dont know if its what come in the truck or what , I bought it for a donor:D

this was at the first place I lived ,, every time it came a good hard rain for a while the yard flooded .. and stayed that way for about a day ..

yes, I used what was on the 327 ,,,it had a 3 on the tree too. but I had to move the steering box ahead of the axle because the engine was hitting it . so I used a vw steering column so then I had to put a floor shifter in .. I guess I had a rat rod in the making and didnt even know it .... I done all that work on it then got tired of it and traded it for a dune buggy I already owned one time before .. this was in the late 80s early 90s

Guys thanks for the answers. I got this 33 in today and after taking a lot of measurements and looking at it all I am sure unsure of what I have. The thing that gets me is the 6 cyl engine that is in there now.

It appears to be a modern 6 cyl, The problem I am having is there is a builders plate on the side of the engine that has a part number for the engine from a company called -- 4 State Motors-- on this plate it says it is a 3 9/16" bore converted that is 3.5625" I cannot seem to find a chevy 6 with this bore.

The bolt pattern on the Power Glide and on the block itself is the common V8 bolt pattern, so I can hook up a Small Block without any problems. I don't think the tranny will last a long time if in fact it is a 6 cyl tranny but time will tell there.

I would just leave this thing alone and run the 6 but it is just way underpowered, and that is a hard thing for this Old Man to live with.

Thanks again Roland

Idk what the trans is, but my 69 chevy has a 3 speed column shift in it. That was the factory trans that came behind the inline 6. The truck has had at least 3 v8s put in it, one of which was a 350hp 355 small block and it's handled all the abuse just fine. Never even been rebuilt.

3.5625'' bore is the 194.

I kindly request a build thread and some pictures... please?

Hey crank I can do that build thread thing. Thanks also for the 194" information, might just explain why this critter is so anemic.

Plans were to go with a Big Block like a 396, that is what I would really like to do. However I don't have one of those laying around, and I do have a just built 1976 350 and a older 327 that was built be Jasper at some point. I do not want to build that 327 right now for this car that at some point when I find a 396 would just have to be replaced. So I am going to use the 350 for the time being.

Work starts on this swap on Monday so I will start a build thread when I get some photos as the progress goes forward.

Roland

Latest posts

Back