Ford exploer rear end, which one ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I've seen where a lot of guys use a Ford Explorer rear end in their cars. I am thinking about putting one in my 46 Ford.

Which years and models are the ones to look for in junkyards ? Are there some that are better than others (V8 cars, etc) ? I hear these are disc brake rears, are they set up for leaf springs or coil springs ?

Thanks,

Don

The 8.8's in the Explorers are the ones to use because of the width. They are good rearends.
They started putting disc brakes on them around 99 or 2000 up and they are limited slip.
They are leaf spring style.

I agree with Old Iron. Explorers also have the larger 31 spline axles.

I have a list (somewhere). I'll find it after "work" and post it...

Not sure what you're looking for but people around here used to use the small Bronco rear ends because they weren't as wide as the Explorer!

Beercan

2001 back, 31 spline, disc brakes, most are limited slip, 3.73 was a popular ratio. There is a tag on the rear cover bolt, it'll have like 3L73 which is a 3.73 locker. They are 59 1/2 total width. You can cut 3 in out of the long side and run a short right side axle in that side and have a 56 1/2.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think my stock 46 rear is at about 59, so I will have to measure it. I would like one a few inches narrower so I can run slightly deeper wheels on the back. I have an S10 rear in the shop, but it is only at about 54 inches.

Don

My apologies, Don. I HAD a comprehensive 8.8 list but it exists no more. (I suppose it burned with my last computer, or the one before that. :mad:)

Further searches suggest Ranger (with drum brakes up to '97?) were the narrowest 8.8s @ 56.5'' drum to drum face. Limited slip may be harder to find and they have the smaller 28 spline axles. These could also be narrowed 3'' with a tube cut and two short side axles to arrive @ 53.5".

How narrow do you want it, Don?

On a complete aside, I wouldn't be afraid of 28 splines... unless you're building a Fat Jack replica. Our Fox project has a 28 spline version, from another guy's Mustang which had a hot 408'', slicks and a few hundred passes under its belt. (If he couldn't break it, we sure as hell won't. :D)

Fat Jack...

Fremont.003.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to look at the Ranger rears, Doc. Thanks. I don't even need posi as this is simply going to be a daily driver, low hp car. As for the 28 spline axles, I have those in my 27, been in there for over 25 years and have abused them on a regular basis, even with slicks at the drags. They still looked great when I pulled them out recently to put the new 9 inch center section in.

Don

Don if it's of any use to you I have a few 8.8s out of 90s model cop cars. All are disc brake and have some sort of posi unit in them. I'd let them go cheap! Plus it would give me a reason to make the trip to Florida again! :D

The Crown Vic units are probably the widest 8.8's made, about 60" or 62" IIRC. I thought about using one under my wide Lincoln, but didn't want discs in back with drums up front.

Latest posts

Back