36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I bolted the motor mounts to the engine, [a horrible job on an 8BA flathead, with an extra homemade bracket in there]. I changed the transmission mount a little so I could move the rear of the trans sideways and get the line of the motor/trans shafts, parallel to the line of the rear-end pinion shaft, on the side to side plane. Everyone worries about the up and down angles and corrects them, but I needed a little bit more so I'm adjusting the side-ways angles too.

I'm slower than January molasses on this motor swap, but there is more progress. The underneath stuff is all buttoned up, ----- I think. Now I've let the hoist down and started on the upper bolt-on pieces. There's still the auxiliary crankshaft drive pulley to straighten and mount; and find a new home for the alternator.

Attachments

• IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2038.jpg
    IMG_2038.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 16
Even with a few weird setbacks today, I did some good in the shop. While I was installing the Pertronics ignition in the distributor and checking for bushing wear, I noticed that the vacuum advance plate wouldn't move freely. Its bushing was gummed up too much. That took some time to disassemble the distributor and free that breaker plate bushing up. When the distributor was fixed and back in the engine, I went to grab a steel vacuum line from the carb to the dizzy and couldn't find an appropriate length one, without robbing the one off the old motor, [which I want to keep whole]. I finally went out to my motor shed and robbed a line off an old broken Merc flathead, [teapot carb] and reshaped it to fit the middle 94 Holley on my setup. After I got it shaped pretty good I took it off again to sand it all shiny and paint it with clear. As I was hanging it up to dry where I usually hang small things, I found the vacuum line that I had made a month ago and hung up to dry. Sometimes getting old isn't fun. Anyhow, there's a bunch of sparkplug wires on and more little things done.

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 16
Thank you Small and thank you Burger.
My motor is moving forward again. All of the sparkplug wires are finished and mounted, the alternator bracket modified and mounted, [ boy oh boy the alternator just fits in there] and I had to change the secondary carbs actuating rod around because it hit the oil filler tube.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2041.jpg
    IMG_2041.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 19
Today was power steering day. I had to straighten and remount the extra drive pulley I had made for the front of the crankshaft. The bushing I had made for the ID of the pulley down to the crank bolt size was no good and that let the pulley get off centre, causing the power steering pump to shake at the last. Anyhow that's fixed. The adjusting bracket on the bottom of the pump did not fit on the new aluminium head so I had to make one arm longer in order to fit on the boss on the head. When Barney Navarro designed these heads he hoped there was nobody around that was weird enough to mount a homemade power steering pump on a flathead. Well sir, I fooled him. That little boss on the head was a dummy, not bored out or tapped. I was a little scared to go too deep in case I struck water, but I got lucky.

[1] tapping out the boss.

[2] rebuilt bracket primed.

[3] bracket painted.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2044.jpg
    IMG_2044.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 13
Yes OI, I think that little boss is supposed to have a clip bolted to it, to hold the wiring harness, on the stock steel heads.
Anyhow, here's the power steering pump mounted and lined up. first two pics.

I'm using a mechanical fuel pump on this engine so I can look cool with a sediment bowl, but I have an electric pump back by the tank. I have heard stories of pumping the new gas past a seventy year old deteriorating pump diaphragm and having the gas start running through it into your oil pan, without you knowing it in time. Here's my solution to this possible problem. I took the mechanical pump off the old motor [pic 3] and used it for a pattern to cut blocking plate out of an old antifreeze jug. That plastic plate went on the intake manifold under the new pump. Now to plumb the gas lines everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg