Could Have Been Bad

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

On Friday I was at the dump with my 02 Dakota. As I went to pull up to leave the brake pedal went to the floor. I had replaced all but 1 brake line during the past few years. It was up above the rear diff and kind of out of site. Scary thing was my Son took the truck on a 45 minute each way trip to drop off some stuff for his friend last weekend. I can't get it out of my head what could have happened. Jim

Dodges seem to be bad about this. Both my son-in-law and I had the brake lines rust through on our Dodges.
Probably does it on most of the vehicles tho.

My 2000 dodge ram had the same problem 3 weeks ago. The metal line going to the rear rusted out, thankfully it happened in the driveway.

I've never experienced this in 60+ years of driving. I have had rubber lines dry out and start leaking, though. Must be a regional thing. Salt?
Glad all is/are OK.

We (my son and I) have a fox body Mustang project, currently living under a heavy layer of dust...

While searching for a brake leak, we found the rear brake line runs through the firewall and under the carpet. If you think that's a good idea, it's not. The line can get wet, but it can't get dry... it was rotten from end to end!

Don't these thing have a dual chamber MC?????
Torchie

From my experience, it doesn't matter much. When a front hose breaks, the pedal goes to the floor instantly... no delay, no help from chamber #2. If you survive that surprise, you can pump the pedal a few times and limp home on the rears...

I remember in the old days when the MC had 2 distinct reservoirs. I know there is only one now but I don't know if there is something down stream to split them. I was able to limp home, slowing with the brakes and using the ebrake to come to a complete stop. 2nd time in my life this has a happened. It maybe regional due to salt. CT using a new pretreatment that is really bad. My Dakota came from Chicago so I knew there would be rust. Bed is rotted out as have the front body mounts. I'm keeping it until it falls apart or dies a bad death. Jim

I know both feelings well. The dread of it as it happens, with not much time to react in most cases as it’s happening and the what if afterthoughts. I’m running an original single MC and I am always checking for issues, and even though the e brake is in a weird spot I’m always ready to grab it.

Bringing up brake lines again. My Suzuki Samurai had a leaking rear line. I went to autozone to get a line terminated on both ends. I figured I'd get the normal one when the guy asks if I want a copper one. It was a couple bucks more. Very easy to bend, Hopefully it will last. Has anyone used these before? Thanks. Jim

Yes, they are easy to work with.
My 2005 Chevy truck has ruptured most of the brake lines in the last couple years. I live in the rust belt.

check your local NAPA store, they can order complete stainless steel brake line kits for all the popular late model trucks. They come complete with every pre-bent line you'll need for that vehicle. priced from $95.00 to $150.00. you'll sleep better.

I used some on a project. They bend easily and should last.
I went back to the steel lines with the green coating and haven't had any problems with it either.

Latest posts

Back