Michigan TR-205

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
Anyone on here from Michigan ever titled their rod using a TR-205 form? Just curious if they got away with it or not...... Seems like it could be a quick easy way to get a title for one.

I'm not sure what that form is.

Ownership Certification Form
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-205_16198_7.pdf
Conditions for using this are - #1 Vehicle must be atleast 6 years old #2 Value must be under $2500

Found on "the other" site:

Step 1) If you have bill of sale or other evidence, get it!
Step 2) Fill out the Michigan TR-205 form
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-205_16198_7.pdf
Step 3) Take docs from 1&2 to Michigan Secretary of State
Step 4) Wait in line and turn in your paperwork
Step 5) SoS will run the VIN through the national database to verify clear VIN
This will take 45 minutes to 1 hour
Step 6) You'll get to stand on that different colored square and get to "jump in" after the search time is up (depending on the SoS, they may say to come back later)
Step 7) Provided it is all clear, you'll get to pay a $15 title registration fee and 6% taxes, you'll get a form stating you've applied for title (kind of a receipt)
Step 8) In a week or 2 you'll have your LEGAL CLEAR TITLE in YOUR NAME

To anyone interested.........

This was one of the easiest things I did for my rat.

My first attempt to get a title for my rat was to just take a bill of sale to the SOS. They basically laughed at me. I decided to go ahead and go this route and see what happens.

1.) First I had the bill of sale notorized.
2.) Next I put the rat on the trailer and towed it to a place in MI that does vehicle appraisals. They just need to verify the VIN on the cab and say yest that is what it is. Also they need to say it is worth less than $2500, preferably WAY less.
3.) Print out the TR-205 form from SOS website and fill in the info
4.) Grab your check book and head to the SOS, smile pretty and hand in your form with bill of sale and appraisal.
5.) Smile pretty and wait. They enter in all the info from the forms and submit it to the state to verify the VIN is not in use and that it is not stolen either.
6.) If all goes well they will charge you sales tax on the APPRAISED value (this is why you want the guy to put down cheap) plus $15 title transfer fee and a few days later the title shows up in the mail. Had mine in less than a week.

:cool:

I'm gonna go to your SOS neverdone.
Last time I talked to my local office they told me that it was illegal for me to buy a vehicle with just a bill of sale and even more illegal for the guy to be selling it that way!!! As they put it, "Everything is owned by somebody and how do you know the seller didn't steal it"
Plus since it was considered a local sale(about 30 miles away) they said that the certificate of ownership forms wouldn't work.
Claim was that the new rules were being inforced to cut down on scrap car theft. My county was one of the worst for that and no I don't live in Detroit:rolleyes:
This was about 6 months ago.
Torchie.

From what I understand around here, Monroe County, this is not all that uncommon to do. The guy that did my appraisal said that he does that pretty dang offen for cars that he restores...... My purchase also was a local purchase, probably less than 30 miles.

My suggestion would be to go back and try again. Sounds to me that they didn't even try to help you. Everything has to be checked out by the state and approved then they will give you the title. Also it has to be a sale within the state. It can not be out of state.

My SOS did not even question it when I turned in the forms.

FYI.....you can get a bonded title also....

that way if it's found that the vehicle or parts therein are stolen or possibly have a lien on them, then you are held harmless other than you might be out the money you spent....sometimes a bonded title is the only way....other than an assembled title....

Latest posts

Back