Undersize water pump pulley for SBC?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just been out for a 20 minute drive, temp is good, 160-170, trans works like it should, but still seems to have a little brief 'shudder' when opening the throttle at lower speeds/revs, but that may just be shifting down a gear automatically as I press the throttle.

went back to beginning of this thread and read all the way through and see no mention of the model of your automatic trans. TH350, TH400, 200r4, or 700r4??

all except the TH400 are equipped with a kickdown cable, not only do they act as a "down shift one gear" when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor, they also act a pressure regulator at part throttle, and all have to be there and adjusted properly or you will continue to smoke the forward clutches due to low pressure during acceleration.

?

all except the TH400 are equipped with a kickdown cable, not only do they act as a "down shift one gear" when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor, they also act a pressure regulator at part throttle, and all have to be there and adjusted properly or you will continue to smoke the forward clutches due to low pressure during acceleration.

I have a TH350, but the kick-down cable is not necessary for normal operation and it doesn't regulate oil pressure, like it does on Ford boxes.

In fact the cable is not in use until you are at about 95% throttle, that is the way it is set up. There is a slotted link at the end, and when set up it runs loose until the last 1/4 of throttle.

It does give kick-down when you floor the pedal, but it also holds the trans in gear until about 5000rpm when your foot is flat to the floor. Without it the trans up-shifts itself at about 3000rpm.

tiny bubbles usually mean aeration

In had one half the size on there before, but the trans started playing up and I was worried it was overheating.

Anyway, I was out and about today for an hour today, engine temp hovers between 160 and 170, fan shuts off almost as soon as I hit 20mph and air starts moving.

But, the trans is still playing games, seems to shudder a bit pulling away, reverse seems very loose, and I notice lots of tiny bubbles in the oil when I pull the dipstick. Level is okay.

most often, will do that if under filled or overfilled, loose or missing seal or gasket at filter pickup...will reek havoc with shifts, engagement and or slippage...

most often, will do that if under filled or overfilled, loose or missing seal or gasket at filter pickup...will reek havoc with shifts, engagement and or slippage...

The trans was toast when my guy stripped it down, all bushes and thrust washers were worn out, grooved deep in places. Seals were hard and cracked. It came out of an ex-race car and was supposedly overhauled before I got it, but my guy says it may have had someone look into it a little, but they don't pull it all apart.

I paid about $350 for the overhaul, with all new kit parts, bushes, thrust washers, clutches bands etc, and some hard parts he replaced that he had that were 'used but good' in stock.

Latest posts

Back