SBC engine placement to fit 1938 Chev front section - Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanksbe2

I have a 2002 Blazer frame, I bought the proper SBC V8 conversion motor mounts and put a 305 on it. Now that I have it together I can see that the motor being right over the front wheels looks like it is too far forward for the 1938 Chevy front end (doghouse, front fenders and hood) to fit correctly. The motor looks like it needs to be moved backwards a bit from the front wheels.

Has anyone been through this or have any suggestions? Thanks.

I have done several 37 chev cars and trucks. Always using the stock frame, but on all of them using a small block chev the HEI distributor has to go as close to the firewall as you can get it and still get the distributor cap back on. That will allow you to use the long or short water pump and get your front fenders, radiator and core support in the proper place.

Anybody done it with an S10/Blazer frame?

Not to hijack thread,
I used mounts for s10/V8 conversion, then reversed them so it put the motor back where it needs to be. this is a '53 on s10 frame.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2012-03-16 19.20.58.jpg
    2012-03-16 19.20.58.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 36
I'm in the process of doing this on my 37 Chevy truck

I have a 2000 2wd blazer front clip on the truck
And I have a 5.3 lm7 engine,and I plan to use a manual truck trans
for the engine to be close to the firewall, the center of the engine
Needs to be over the rear lca frame mount

I would have to check again but I think that puts the engine
8-10 inches to the rear and my manual trans will line up in the cab

You have to remember that a inline 6 block is about 30 inches deep
And a v8 is about 20 inches

big blazer

We saw a 53 jeep pickup on a full size blazer frame at a car show. the guy said it was easy. We have a 48 jeepster that was on a jeep FC pug nose chassis, chevy V8, so we started tearing things apart. the 48 has a shorter front end, ended up moving the engine baack 8 inches. that ment new drive shafts, steering mods, then the rear floor had to be reworked, different gas tank, bumper mounts, It would have been a lot easieer to keep the FC chassis and swap in the blazer axles, trans -transfer case.

Latest posts

Back