Those poxy little Chevy valve seals..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Herald

I just pulled the heads apart on a 283 I've got, just to have a quick check of the bores, springs and lap the valves.

My buddy suggested machining the guides to take modern oil seals, but I just want to throw this together and see if it runs okay, then do a full overhaul some day in the future a funds allow. He suggested I use the stock little O rings that slip on the valves, before the collets/keepers etc. How the HELL are you supposed to get these together???

And why are they square section, not round, like normal O rings? There is no bevel or lead on the retainer to help it slip over.

As soon as I compress the spring and all down over the valve the O ring just pushes out of place. :mad:

I even tried a simple little spring compressor that allows me to wiggle and rotate the spring assembly as I push it over the O ring.

maxresdefault.jpg

What on earth am I missing here? :confused: I can see with a flash-light that half the O rings have pushed out of place. :mad:

Are you taking the keepers and the top off, then pushing the o ring on the stem? They have to be inside the spring.

Oh, if that is the head, that is a Ford head, so it would be a 289.:eek:

Sounds like... you're trying to use a Chevy seal on a Ford???

A Chevy valve stem is grooved for the square ring...

seal7.jpg

a typical Ford seal...

075.jpg

and a 289 umbrella type...

dec22016.jpg

None of these should give you trouble when assembling the springs, retainers and keepers, but needs to be the right seal for the valve!

Are you taking the keepers and the top off, then pushing the o ring on the stem? They have to be inside the spring.

Oh, if that is the head, that is a Ford head, so it would be a 289.:eek:

It was just a web pic I stole to show the spring compressor. :eek:

Sounds like... you're trying to use a Chevy seal on a Ford???

A Chevy valve stem is grooved for the square ring...

seal7.jpg

No, it is Chevy head I have, but the keeper has to slide over that square O ring, but there is nothing to allow it to, no chamfer in the retainer, just a fairly sharp/square edge. it is almost impossible to do it with the valve out of the head, just slipping the cap on by hand, so with it all compressed and clamped, no chance. Unless I'm missing something......

0900c15280083bcd.gif

Last edited:
Hang on, I just read on another site, you have to compress the spring and cap way down past the seal groove, then put the seal in, then the locks, then release it all. [S

Hmm, my little spring compressor won't let me squish it all down far enough to do that.

What you read is correct.

I use a compressor like the one pictured below... squeezes the spring while holding the valve tight... allows full compression to coil bind (if necessary) and leaves the top wide open for fat fingered seal and lock installation.

p43010a.jpg

Guess I always did it wrong. I took the spring off, pushed on the O ring, put it all back together. Never had a problem. Prefer the umbrella style steals better though. Won't break and fall off as quick as the O rings do.

No right or wrong. I've done them both ways with a proper compressor.

Funny you should mention umbrellas on a Chevy valve. Some guys I know use both the O ring and the umbrella.

Years ago we used I think Pinto umbrellas. They fit the head and valves on chevys like they were made for them. Somebody probably makes them just for Chevys now.

Guess I always did it wrong. I took the spring off, pushed on the O ring, put it all back together.

You must have something different than I have, as it is fairly obvious you can't simply slide a square edged hole over a tight fit square edged O ring, whilst simultaneously compressing a spring around it all.

Anyway, I just borrowed a full size spring compressor off my buddy so I'll attack the project again later.

Glad you got it figured out! Its possible I did have something different, it's been a few years since I did a Chevy engine.

i hate the o-rings so i go to the local shop, they have a box of umbrella type seals that work great and fit everything. if i ever change one in the drive way it will have the umbrella type when i get done as well. good luck.

If we had anything resembling Auto Zone or suchforth over here, Chevy parts over the counter, I'd be a happy man. [cl:D[cl

set it up to get a package sent to you. may take a week or so but i'm sure someone can help, just ask.:)

If/when I do a full overhaul on the motor I'll order some proper seals in advance. :D

I can get stuff from Summit in a week, by iParcel, but it damn near doubles the price for shipping and import duties, tax etc. :eek::eek::eek: And there is a minimum order size.

If/when I do a full overhaul on the motor I'll order some proper seals in advance. :D

I can get stuff from Summit in a week, by iParcel, but it damn near doubles the price for shipping and import duties, tax etc. :eek::eek::eek: And there is a minimum order size.

that is the reason i say to set it up with someone here, it can be sent as a personal package to save the duties.

Latest posts

Back