Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swear you mn guys still have a lot of good tin hiding up there...

Greg,
I'm just collecting parts and ideas at the present time. Finishing up on my Fiat project and just changed the rear suspension in my Tub. I need to put an engine in the Tub too. Got any spares?:D

I'll start on it when the frost is on the pumpkin and the rodding season ends up here. Won't be long...

Sunday I went to a junkyard a hundred miles from here and picked up what I thought was some Reo sheet metal. Turned out to be '28 Studebaker. Might have to build another car out of it.:eek: I did get some parts for the Reo build and also grabbed a '27 Hupmobile cowl and a pair of 1930 Chevy coupe quarter panels.

I think I have enough raw material to build 3 or 4 bodies; roadster pickup cab, coupster, that kind of thing. Should keep me out of trouble for a few years.

Last edited:
TubDone012.jpg

On my earlier trip to the junkyard I spotted a 1930 Chevy coupe quarter panel. Lo and behold, found another one this Sunday so I now have a pair. Matched up with one of my 1930 Chevy truck cowls, I have the beginning of a coupster. In the foreground are a pair of Chevy (I think ) cab corners. These should work well for a RPU cab. Along with the 1928 Studebaker sheet metal and the 1928 Hupmobile cowl I have enough parts to build three or four bodies. Just missing some doors. I'll be going back for a some of those in a few weeks.

BTW, I PM'd Todd regarding my engine needs for the Tub.

ReoCowl007.jpg

Y'all know how plans change. I intended to graft a '30 Chevy cowl onto the Reo front, somehow. That would permit the use of a Chevy hood and radiator shell I have. Besides, the Reo suffered some damage, probably from a fork lift in the North Dakota junkyard from whence it came.

ReoCowl011.jpg

After picking up some '30 Chevy coupe quarter panels and a pair of truck cab corners last week, I have enough parts to build a couple Chevy bodies; a coupster and a RPU cab.

That sorta dictated that I save the Reo cowl. That's what I worked on today. Looks like it will work out okay.

Yeagley, Thanks for the ID on the cab corners.

I'm stiff and sore today after crawling around on the floor all afternoon yesterday straightening the firewall and cowl panel. Still a long way to go on it.

Gonna pick up a 292 Chevy 6 from Todd this week for this car.

ReoEngine002.jpg

I visited Todd down in Faribault today. Looked over his AD on a Dakota truck project and also his Dodge on an S-10 chassis. Two very nice projects with Todd's skill and creativity on display.
Todd sold this 292 Chevy 6 and Offy intake manifold to me for a very good price. I also came away with a bunch of vintage tin.

Thanks a lot, Todd.

The engine is destined for the Reo project. Could have a turbocharger if I can find the thing in my garage attic...

Was great to meet you too. Glad the inline will get used, I'd hate to have to plan another project :eek:

Wellllll, I can see how/why this pile of old metal would cause a ratrodder to salivatate! But for me, I will be lucky to finish my Essex Coupe before my time expires. Have fun with all of this fine old tin. Be watching!

ReoBack002.jpg

Even though I have lots of work to do on other projects, the call of rusty tin is overwhelming. Time to cut up or shut up. I used a Sawzall to the point where it was rattling around too much, then an angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel and a bit of torch work in the wheel well.

Pearly, I want to see that Essex rolling down the road soon!

Last edited:
ReoBack004.jpg

The back section will go directly behind the door posts. I have a notion to remove the whole roof and make my own with some different contours.

It will be heavily chopped.

Idealratrod1.jpg

It will have some resemblance to this car. Not as low and as radical, not as long in front and with a hood. Toying with some kind of fenders on it.

Latest posts

Back