Volksrod Pickup Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So about a year ago I started this build in my one car garage after buying an Eastwood welder and basic power tools. I think it has turned out not too shabby for a first timer to cutting welding and fabricating. A special thanks to a few friends who helped lend a hand when one was needed Richard Luna, Doug Fuller, Andy Kawahara, and Especially my awesome wife Alisha for holding countless things while I welded them or helping me choose between designs and idea's. Let me know if you guys dig it.

I started with this last July

SANY1593.jpg

001.jpg

Then chopped the top and back half off

009.jpg

015.jpg

042.jpg

044.jpg

Then I had to close up the cab.

004-3.jpg

009-3.jpg

DSCF6923.jpg

DSCF6918.jpg

Then get the chassis ready (yes I took off and sold the super nice white body)

048.jpg

SANY1635.jpg

SANY1631.jpg

Decided the hood needed some attitude

SANY1639.jpg

SANY1649.jpg

Then had to raise the engine trans and rear suspension 3.5" to lowered it way down without all the camber to hit the bed.

SANY1658.jpg

Then because I modified everything else the dash needed some flare.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0089-1.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Some of the custom bombers

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

Oh and a hinging wood bed floor to gain access to the clutch and throttle cable as well as the battery

DSC_0103.jpg

Then a ton of boring filler sanding more sanding then some additional sanding and it looked like this.

DSC_0140-3.jpg

Then torn down so Andy could work some magic on it.

DSC_0018-1.jpg

Then I needed to make some chassis repairs and spiff it up.

DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

The custom banjo wheel made by Doug

Wheel.jpg

And the seats striped up looking badass!

Seats.jpg

At its first car show from yesterday.

DSC_0041-2.jpg

And won a trophy!

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0032-4.jpg

DSC_0035-2.jpg

That's all for now but I'll post more as I finish let me know if you dig it. Thanks guys.

1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif

WOW, I'm diggin' it BIG TIME! [S But, you sure you aren't pulling our leg about that "First Timer" stuff :D That is some first rate fabbing and design/engineering!

The proportions are spot on in my book and bed & seats are awesome man! And there's just enough scallops and stripes to set it off nicely!

Nice build. [P

1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif
1sm074hole.gif

WOW, I'm diggin' it BIG TIME! [S But, you sure you aren't pulling our leg about that "First Timer" stuff :D That is some first rate fabbing and design/engineering!

The proportions are spot on in my book and bed & seats are awesome man! And there's just enough scallops and stripes to set it off nicely!

Nice build. [P

Nope no kidding I bought my first MIG welder about 2 weeks before starting the chop top. Just dove in and took care of business. I messed plenty up along the way but its all part of the learning process. Also don't underestimate what you can learn on you tube lol.

Latest posts

Back