1958 283 chevy oil filter adapter.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
I'm rebuilding a 58 283 I've had stored for many years. I disassenbles the motor years ago and now I'm going to use ir in my A Bucket project. I has a spin on oil filter adaptor but I'm not sure about one thing. In the pics you see it is two parts, the dark circle in the center of the bottom half is a gasket. When I put the two parts together, the cone shaped upper part fit in the gasket and I'm pretty sure it will seal. My question is about the upper part that bolts to the block. looks like it should have a gasket between the upper housing and the block but I don't have a gasket that fits. Do you think it will work without a gasket or should I make one...[P

Attachments

• a bucket 044 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 044 (Small).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 10
  • a bucket 046 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 046 (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
  • a bucket 048 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 048 (Small).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 10
  • a bucket 049 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 049 (Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 12
  • a bucket 050 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 050 (Small).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 11
You will have to get the original filter to get the o ring that goes around the original filter base, but under the spin on adapter. Make sure that gasket that is there, between the adapters is in good shape also.

There is no gasket between the original base and the block only that big o ring.

Ron...you da man. I think i got some-timers disease, some times I can't remember or figure out how stuff works. I couldn't figure how the oil was gonna get thru the filter til you said O-ring. :eek: so I go to the local countyr store where they got lots of OLD stuff and sure enough they had a filter for a 58 283. Cost $3.29 but I just have to bite the bullitt. :D
Thanks!!!:)

Attachments

• a bucket 051 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 051 (Small).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 5
  • a bucket 052 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 052 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back