Suicide front axle height?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyesore

If you have a suicide front end, how high off the ground is your axle?

iSore

They'll be different depending on the drop of the axle and tire diameter being used.
My 33 and 37 both have 4" drop axles and 24 1/2" diameter tires.
The axles heights measures 4 1/2" off the ground, in the center.

Maybe it's just me but, that makes no sense. An axle is gonna sit where it's gonna sit. The only way to change that is by dropping the axle or changing wheel diameters. My axle sits 6" off the ground.

You might mean 'how high is your spring perch off the ground'. The top plate of my perch is 14" off the ground. With a suicide front end, the taller you make your perch, the lower the frame sits in relationship to the ground.

Setting mine up right now... 4" dropped axle, standard spindles with 24" tire height & mine sits 5 1/2" off ground!

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 27
They'll be different depending on the drop of the axle and tire diameter being used.
My 33 and 37 both have 4" drop axles and 24 1/2" diameter tires.
The axles heights measures 4 1/2" off the ground, in the center.

With 4 1/2" of clearance you are probably getting close to your scrub line clearance , I am sure you know that but the OP might not know about SL

I have a 4" drop Super Bell axle, 25" tall Bias ply Firestone tires and it gives me 5 1/2" clearance. Since radial tires have more "squish", i assume a person would have a little less clearance than a bias tire of the same advertised height.

Thanks guys, I'll have 5 1/2" clearance but when I set it up it looks crazy low. Looks like I'm in the ball park! Again, many thanks! [cl

iSore

You guys had me scratching my head thinking I misread the tape [S
I went out and rechecked and mine measures 4 1/2" on both car and truck, in the center ;)
I think Bruno hit it on the head, Both my vehicles have radial tires and the squish is most likely the difference :)

With 4 1/2" of clearance you are probably getting close to your scrub line clearance , I am sure you know that but the OP might not know about SL

In your best W. C. Fields voice
latest
Aw yes, the ole scrub line issue :)

On my 33 the SL is 1 3/4" below the center of the axle :cool:
On my 37 the SL is 3/4" below the center of the axle :cool:
This is if the tire comes off the rim.

Latest posts

Back