roller lifter question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26Troadster

i'm old school and the only roller cam i have been around was one we had in a race car in the early 80's, after i got married i kinda got away from racing. i know you can't reuse flat tappet lifters unless they go back to the same lobe. a buddy is talking about reusing a set of hyd. roller on a new cam, i told him i would change he says he doesn't have to. can used roller lifters be used on new cam?

I dont't know about cars but I tried it in a harley evo motor and only got about 2500 mile out of them. I've since been told to never use them over when changing cam profiles because the get a pattern in them. I don't know if this is true or not but when doing a bike motor I always replace them.

I don't have any first hand experience but Id say replace them for fear of a worn roller on a new cam lobe.

Sure you can...I've done it, but it's not quite as simple as that. How has this engine been used? Frequent oil changes? Big cam with steep lobe angle? How many miles, etc. Lot's of things to consider. If you do reuse them, be sure to put them back in the same bore and turning the same direction.

it's a older motor and he runs it hard. i got him talked into changing them. thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back