180 (360) degree headers.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71lwb72swb

hey guys I'm havin a little trouble grasping this, hopin one of you can make sense of it for me. what are the reasons and benifits of these? I have seen 2 different types. not sure whats what. one type took 1 pipe from left to right and vise versa. the other type took 2 pipes from left to right and vise versa............. help?

180 headers

The pipe cross over so that they follow the firing order - 1,8,4 and 3 dump into one collector, 6,5,7,2 into the other (at least one possibility for a SBC or any other similarly numbered V8 with the same firing order. Fords number their cylinders differently and have used several firing orders over the years.) The above example would have two pipes from each side cross over. Having 2,1,8, and 4 dump into one collector and 3,6,5 and 7 into the other would only require one pipe on each bank to cross over from one side to the other.

I saw a set on a Pantera (Rear engine small-block Ford V8 powered sports car) that looked really cool. And it sounded exotic, too - really cool!

440shorty

A few guys ran then on short track oval cars,in the 70s and 80s.

I think the idea is to improve the torque curve.

Any difference is pretty small.

A guy I knew had a '67 Mustang with a 427 transplanted in it and he used a set of "basket of snakes" headers where the tubes ran from one side to the other and vice versa. It sounded VERY mean and evidently had some real breathing benefits too. The pipes sure did hang down low under there though. :eek:

Don

Latest posts

Back