front axle question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiny1

Callin' him Tiny is like callin' Dirty Harry a bea
Has anyone used this type of front axle? It looks like a ford twin I beam setup.
Just wondering what you all thought about it ?
Its at flaming river site under new products
http://www.flamingriver.com

Attachments

• prd_lg_349.jpg
    prd_lg_349.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 179
It's a suspension setup that uses a rack and pinion steering.
I've spoke to a couple of guys who have it on their cars.
They say it's a good ride. No bump steer, etc.

I don't care for the way it looks. But..... to each his own.
The 3500.00 price tag doesn't thrill me either......

i think it would bring alot of alignment issues

but on the other hand ford used that setup for a million years...but id go with a soild axle

My opinion is not going to vary much from the others. I think that if I wanted the look of a beam axle that badly, I would just use one. I understand the reasoning behind it. I suppose if you had a fenderless car and didn't want unsightly visible control arms but wanted a more modern system steering and coilovers, this could be an alternative. But it appears to be fairly cost prohibitive at $3500.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions guys. My buddy really like the way it looks he picked up a 1970 ford truck yesterday with the twin i beam and were going to use the Twin I Beam part in his truck were building. The older I beams are similar to the straight axle he wanted to do something different so were going to give it a shot if it don't work out we can always change it later.

My Jeep truck has a twin I beam front axle setup, and it works well. Supposedly, it gives you the strength of an I beam and the ride of A arm suspension. On a rod, I'm not so sure I would like the look though, especially non fendered.

Don

What kind of truck is he building? Rod, off-road, etc... Those truck I-beams are pretty hefty.

It's going to be a rat/hotrod/custom lol The I beam we got for it looks like a dropped axle it came out of a 1970 ford truck. I have it mounted in the rat/hotrod still have to build shock tower going with coilovers it will be different so far it looks good.

Racer, I am a more current builder, with some twin I beam experience. I noticed that Tiny would not answer the question on what hotrod he was building and that is an important part of the equation. How wide is your vehicle? When I was way younger I put a '73 F100 Twin I beam front end under my '47 Ford truck. Things were looking good until I put the fenders on. The narrow stock wheels stuck out through the fenders a wee bit, Sheesh. Also the steering box pointed at the corner of the cab and was quite close, [really hard to get the column moved over that far to hook it up]. I gave up on that project.
After that I started on a '36 Ford truck. This also has a Twin I Beam under it. The secret of its success is that I used a Ford Ranger frame and front end. ['36 Ford truck on Ranger] on this forum. The Ranger is a way narrower and the steering box is up at the front of the frame. I have driven this truck around for a few summers now and it is a delight to drive, but I might be biased a wee bit. Good Luck.

What Kenny said.
I had my front end aligned professionally, fairly soon after the completion of building. My tires are not showing any abnormal wear. I had cut a ring and a half off each coil spring, [possibly a wee bit too much], so the tires would have worn badly on the insides.

Latest posts

Back