how low is too low ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you guys rides are way cool..
And ... Crazy as it sounds..
Because of this board. And all the questions I've asked. Everyone was helpful.
And didn't put me down . I have very limited knowledge of cars.
I'm a 35 years on the road tanker yanker. And raise a few cows.
But since high skool . I've wanted to learn and play around with a hot rod pickup.
I'm going to be 60 years old .. Still a few years away.. But dang !!!
The years are flying by.
So today . I called a shop . and told them I would buy the 37 Chevy roller.
I have a 4 bolt 350 Chevy. And a turbo 400? Out of a 73 pickup.
So .. At last . I finally have a hot rod pickup.
Only took me 40 years to get started. :)
I'm gonna try to post a picture.

nice little truck, can't wait to see it underway.

Wow......very nice pickup.....

Yeah...a build thread is very much in order now....[P....as for being 60 (in a few years)...that is no big deal around here as a ton of us are past that point...lol.:D
:eek:

I ride about 4" high and live in Michigan..... The native land of the pothole.... Going down the road every now and again it scrapes, rubs, stuff..... But I have never gotten stuck on anything. My frame is my lowest point. Oil pan is 2" above that. But keep in mind that at some point you will need to get under it and that is where the problem is. To get mine up high enough to work on can sometimes be a real PITA......

Peabody, nice start, very clean looking truck and you drive train should work great.
As for age, you are a little on the young side but you'll get there [cl (have you by a whopping 9.5 yrs.)
You'll also learn most people here are not into putting anyone down, not the same all over.
Now that you can post pictures keep us up to date. [P (this popcorn guy means we're waiting for the main attraction)

Trying to post another picture.
OK. Yes there we go.
After reading the tons of web threads about sbc . and parts availability . even my small town has an o Riley . Have several buddy's that used to be gear heads.
And then there's Alvin . elderly neighbor who's building a 41 Chevy on a international scout frame. His health ain't the best . but he is excited about my pickup.
He will be a wealth of knowledge. And has been a family friend for over 65 years.
And Alvin has a wicked warped sense of humor :)
He will never say anything bad about anybody. He'll just say they can't whistle.
I think I'm going to have alotta fun with this . :)

Attachments

• 20140519_180824.jpg
    20140519_180824.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 26
I ride about 4" high and live in Michigan..... The native land of the pothole.... Going down the road every now and again it scrapes, rubs, stuff..... But I have never gotten stuck on anything. My frame is my lowest point. Oil pan is 2" above that. But keep in mind that at some point you will need to get under it and that is where the problem is. To get mine up high enough to work on can sometimes be a real PITA......

I think I can get under it ok . I have two large farm tractors with frontend loaders.
If nothing else just pick the whole thing up.
Michigan.. Land of the pothole. As y'all know I drive a semi.
And yes . I think once ? I fell into a pothole in grand rapids .darn near took a steering tire off.

Good lookin' truck! How low is too low? When it scrapes! :D

Issues here in AZ are rounded curbs and speed bumps (although I have no idea why they call them that - a misnomer). I've had a couple scrapers. Should have measured...

My 33 is at 4" and it has me wondering about it.
Too low is when you high center when crossing railroad tracks [ddd

Good lookin' truck! How low is too low? When it scrapes! :D

Issues here in AZ are rounded curbs and speed bumps (although I have no idea why they call them that - a misnomer). I've had a couple scrapers. Should have measured...

And we have dips they put in the road to control runoff. Of course, they only effect body parts that hang out in front of or behind the wheels. Got one coming into the neighborhood where the wife's car scrapes every time.

I have to get over at least 2 speed bumps to get out of my neighborhood. The minimum to get over those is 5 1/2". My F2stang (102" wheelbase was 6") off the ground. There is one speed bump at work that it would scrape on every time.

I had to buy a new, shorter, floor jack to get the front off the ground.

Nice truck Peabody. You know there is no going back. Right?

What do you drive in your day job? I'm just nosy, I work for Freightliner.

Nice truck Peabody. You know there is no going back. Right?

What do you drive in your day job? I'm just nosy, I work for Freightliner.

Skip.. I run a 99' Pete 379 . 550 kitty kat.. 1.6 million on her now.
I knew there was no going back on this one.
First time I saw it .. I knew right then and there .. She's the one.
It's what I had in my head since high skool...

Ain't no ride like a low ride.............I'll give up my air ride control switch
when they pry it from my cold dead hand.......seriously though
static ride between 4-5 inches to be safe.....good luck with the build

Skip.. I run a 99' Pete 379 . 550 kitty kat.. 1.6 million on her now.
I knew there was no going back on this one.
First time I saw it .. I knew right then and there .. She's the one.
It's what I had in my head since high skool...
Nice.

Well.. Finally got to measure it.. She's five inches . I should be OK :)
Am doing nothing but working the job. Hopefully I can scrape up enough cash this spring to get her done.

Latest posts

Back