53 front coils

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

Seriously thinking of lowering the front end of my 53 210. Id like to have about 4 inches between the bumper and the pavement. Ive heard 1 coil for 2 inches, so 2 coils for 4 inches? Has anyone had bad experiences doing this? I know it will ride like a truck but i wont be driving it everyday. Is there steering and saftey issues? Maybe one day I'll do a gasser front once i get bored with it low

53 s, on my Ranger framed 36, one coil of spring dropped the truck two inches. That's the good news.
The previous owner had cut some coil off the spring, I think, but I don't know. Then I cut one and one half coils more off and that was a little too much. The rubber stoppers are used quite a bit now, but it's livable.
The camber of your wheels will change, so you'll have to get a wheel alignment, afterwards. The up-town wheel alignment guys will want to put all new balljoints and any moving parts that they can make you believe are worn, to pad the bill.
My advice is cut one coil off and check the ride height, suspension travel and camber angle, then cut half a coil off each time after that, checking each time.
My opinion is, fifties cars don't look good hanging in the front so don't cut too much height out of the suspension.
Opinions are like Chevy motors in Ford hotrods;---- showing up all over the place but sought after.

Something else to consider, If you cut the coil down short and you happen to hit a big bump the travel can exceed the spring so I would Ubolt it so it cant flop in the pocket.

Was messing around with the front end today and looks like everything is going to have to be replaced. I dont think anything is going to break in half but its really sloppy and all the grease rubbers are shot. With replacing everything, for just alittle more i could get a gasser kit from speedway and everything would be brand new and look awesome. I love the gasser look.

Was messing around with the front end today and looks like everything is going to have to be replaced. I dont think anything is going to break in half but its really sloppy and all the grease rubbers are shot. With replacing everything, for just alittle more i could get a gasser kit from speedway and everything would be brand new and look awesome. I love the gasser look.[/QUOTE
If the gasser loook is what turns you on - D0 IT - you will always regret it if you
don't .

You'll be better off with new stuff, lowered or gasser high. Front end parts aren't to play with, bad steering can kill ya!:eek:

Latest posts

Back