beadroller motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
Saw this on metal meet forum. posted by a guy who goes by Joefish. I'm going to give it a try. There is a lot of torque multiplication going on here. will be slow.... but so am I. I will try and find a permanent magnet wiper motor from a old Chev.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 154
OOOh, I like that [cl - I've got a flywheel and window motor in my junk pile. Slow is good - my biggest problem with doing a straight line is holding the piece steady and trying to crank at the same time. I tossed the crank handle for an old steering wheel already but it's still tough.

Slow is better. I added a motor to mine but it is too fast. I'm always tapping the go pedal which isn't good for it or the motor I'm guessing...[;)

used this idea this weekend. Old flexplate on the shaft and gutted an old starter to make a drive for my 1/2" drill. Works great. Need to get a HF foot pedal for $16 so I can use both hands. Next weekend I have some floor pans to roll, I take some photos.

used this idea this weekend. Old flexplate on the shaft and gutted an old starter to make a drive for my 1/2" drill. Works great. Need to get a HF foot pedal for $16 so I can use both hands. Next weekend I have some floor pans to roll, I take some photos.
I would appreciate a parts list and some pictures of the setup. Please. Please. Please. :D

Can one person operate it? That is what I need more than anything.

Thank you!

i'll take a photo tomorrow.

I built it out or scrap I had floating around the shop and a HF 1/2 drive drill.
it looks pretty sketchy, but it works
I could do it alone, but it is easier with help.

i'll take a photo tomorrow.

I built it out or scrap I had floating around the shop and a HF 1/2 drive drill.
it looks pretty sketchy, but it works
I could do it alone, but it is easier with help.
Thank you, good Sir.
Is the drill motor reversible? Foot pedal control?

My wheels are already turning. :D[cl

the drill is reversible and variable speed. Set the speed nice and slow and lock the trigger is how I do it now. the foot pedal will let me stop anytime I need to. I will set the max speed on the drill, lock the trigger and use the pedal to start/stop/up to max speed.

the first pic is just an overall shot. had to add the leg so it doesn't tip over.
second shows how I mounted the ring gear. I made a hub using a highly calibrated eyeball. I got lucky and it is pretty close.
third shows the drive. I cut the shaft off of the armature of the starter and tacked the gear to it. I drilled a hole in a chunk of .5 plate to act as a support for the other end of the drive. I fitted it all up and tacked it, tested, adjusted as needed.
I have a set of sawhorses the same height as the work piece.
I am currently an engineering student and would be embarrassed to let my boss or instructors see it. But, rule #1 states "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Attachments

• IMG1.JPG
    IMG1.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG2.JPG
    IMG2.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG3.JPG
    IMG3.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 118
the first pic is just an overall shot. had to add the leg so it doesn't tip over.
second shows how I mounted the ring gear. I made a hub using a highly calibrated eyeball. I got lucky and it is pretty close.
third shows the drive. I cut the shaft off of the armature of the starter and tacked the gear to it. I drilled a hole in a chunk of .5 plate to act as a support for the other end of the drive. I fitted it all up and tacked it, tested, adjusted as needed.
I have a set of sawhorses the same height as the work piece.
I am currently an engineering student and would be embarrassed to let my boss or instructors see it. But, rule #1 states "If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."
Sweet. Form follows function. Right? OK, Frank Lloyd Wright.

I like it. [cl It's actually quite well designed. May I borrow the concept?

BTW. I got kicked out of engineering school, so hats off to you! :D But that's a story for another day. Something about math...

Saw this on metal meet forum. posted by a guy who goes by Joefish. I'm going to give it a try. There is a lot of torque multiplication going on here. will be slow.... but so am I. I will try and find a permanent magnet wiper motor from a old Chev.
Is that safety guard what I think it is? I love it!

Skip,
Thanks. knock yourself out with the concept.
I'm 46 years old, if I had tried college at 18, it would have been a waste of time. Too much fun to be had!
I have 1 class next semester and I'm done! Thursday I did a phone interview with a place in Seattle. Hope to be out of ND by June 1.

BTW, The math only gets worse. This semester I have; Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Circuit Analysis, Computer Aided Design and Manufacture, and Automation.

More fun than should be allowed by law!!!

Skip,
I'm 46 years old, if I had tried college at 18, it would have been a waste of time. Too much fun to be had!
I have 1 class next semester and I'm done! Thursday I did a phone interview with a place in Seattle. Hope to be out of ND by June 1.

BTW, The math only gets worse. This semester I have; Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Circuit Analysis, Computer Aided Design and Manufacture, and Automation.

Well I'll be dipped. I did the same thing at your age. I just had to change majors. Started a new career at 49. Now I'm almost ready to retire. It's never too late.

Off to collect a few Chevy parts. [cl

Good Lord guy....

Skip,

That is a heck of a class load....good luck man....wow...by the way...46 Ain't Old....lol...

Wow! I'm in awe. Good going.

I thought I was a smart kid. Started in engineering school and hit the wall in engineering math. Never could catch on. Had to change majors.

Latest posts

Back