using coilovers on front drop axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatch

Im wanting to lower my ride height about 2 inches and was wondering if I could do it with coil overs. My set up is a 48" spring over axle with a 4" drop and front ride height is about 7.5" with a 26" tall tire. I Have about 4 inches between the top of the axle and the bottom of the frame. I know the simple thing would be to just put a 6" drop axle under it but seems the only one I can find is double the cost of the 4" one I just bought 3 weeks ago. Does anyone have and pros/cons of doing this set up?

Last edited:
I wouldn't see any feasible way to do that without a lotta work to make a whole lotta ugly. Are you using a reverse eye spring? That would get you at least an if you aren't. You could also potentially raise the mounting point on your crossmember. Hard to say without knowing your exact setup though. Otherwise it's sell your 4" axle and buy the 6". It's a tough lesson in the value of mockup...

I wouldn't see any feasible way to do that without a lotta work to make a whole lotta ugly. Are you using a reverse eye spring? That would get you at least an if you aren't. You could also potentially raise the mounting point on your crossmember. Hard to say without knowing your exact setup though. Otherwise it's sell your 4" axle and buy the 6". It's a tough lesson in the value of mockup...

I did mock up everything I could, and talked to a lot of people, read a lot on this site and others. I was going to go with a 6 inch drop and everyone said that the axle would sit to low in the center and with the 4 inch kick up in front and 2 inch drop crossmember the frame would would sit to low. So I took everyone's advice, now im here.

Cut the frame horns off, cut the front cross member out weld 3" heavy wall tubing between the frame rails and tell RPM you need a 2" or 3" drop spring perch to weld on the tubing.

I did mock up everything I could, and talked to a lot of people, read a lot on this site and others. I was going to go with a 6 inch drop and everyone said that the axle would sit to low in the center and with the 4 inch kick up in front and 2 inch drop crossmember the frame would would sit to low. So I took everyone's advice, now im here.

Exactly my point. All the "advice" in the world doesn't make up for good mockup and measurement. And now you're here.

Regardless, a 4" kickup, 4" dropped axle with a 2" crossmember and it still needs 2 more?? Are you trying to put it in a hole? Something isn't jiving here. That setup should be in the weeds no problem. How tall a tire are you running? Have you had the spring compressed with full weight yet? Without pictures it's hard to see what the issue is...

Im have a 26" tall tire up front and a 29" tire in rear. I measured front ride height at full weight. I figured I would be to low also and would need to put spacers above the spring and raise tire size to get ground clearance. I am not running a reverse eye spring so that might be a way to get it a little lower, and im not sure how much the suspension will settle once it get some miles on it..

Here is a link to my build thread, it has pics of the front end.
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32942&page=3

Ok looked at the pics. A reverse eye spring will help a lot. If that isn't quite enough, toss that funky crossmember and put a flat one in. Nice stamped ones are available from JW Rod Garage for $85. You may have to notch the frame a little for spring clearance, but that should definitely solve your issues. The spring and the crossmember would still be way cheaper than replacing the axle or doing coilovers. Not to mention much better aesthetically...

Ok looked at the pics. A reverse eye spring will help a lot. If that isn't quite enough, toss that funky crossmember and put a flat one in. Nice stamped ones are available from JW Rod Garage for $85. You may have to notch the frame a little for spring clearance, but that should definitely solve your issues. The spring and the crossmember would still be way cheaper than replacing the axle or doing coilovers. Not to mention much better aesthetically...

Okay that sounds good, thank you!

Latest posts

Back