Racecar to RATROD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANNAMEL

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. OK here is the plan. I have a asphalt latemodel with a comaro clip front end. Tubular uppers and modified lower arms.
Hawk calipers with wide 5 hubs.I race it at 3" rideheight (frame height) and can go lower than that if needed. I read a post where someone said dont go fenderless with a arms, why is that? Quickcange rearend 4 link coilover panhard bar. Engine is a rocket ship. Small triple disc clutch etc. My first concern is how much of the cage would you cut off. Keep door bars? Front engine hoop bars? Its and under slung rear. Not sure yet on what body to use . I like the truck cab. Will chop roof and body drop. Ready to start this project. Been talking about it for a while now. Daughter is going to help. She is 11 and can weld also. Here is a photo of the car. Thats my helper also.

Attachments

• racecar.jpg
    racecar.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IM000053.jpg
    IM000053.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 348
Thats going to be a killer project. The fenderless with A arms thing is esthetics. Doesn't look great, but with that being said, I have seen some that aren't that bad. It all comes down the the fact it's your car. Do what you want and like.

Thats really cool your 11 year old daughter is going to be involved.

Can't wait to follow the build. Keep us posted.

Nice car! I understand what your wantin to do here. Basicly, ditchin the body and install an old car or truck body over the racin chassis. Kool idea. Somewhere, I think in builds section, there is a guy that put together a mid 60's chevy pickup, chopped & sectioned, with a cage in it. To me, I think it resembles a mod, it had wide tires on it and just the stance, etc. With the cage as far back as it is, it looks like you could put a body towards the rear and keep the front fenderless and make it look good. The wide 5 wheels would give it that true "racing" look.

Thanks for the thread. I might try a full body car and just chop and section it. Never done it before but saw a build and feel like i can do it. The guy had alot of detailed pictures on how to do it. Here is a photo of of some of my work and airbrushing. Not really a rod but will give you an idea of what happens when i get an idea in my head. Took 1 year to complete and had 24 hrs to paint. PPG base coat clear coat.

Attachments

• AUT_1639.jpg
    AUT_1639.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 437
  • IM000128.jpg
    IM000128.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 499
The easy answer, is sell the race car, and start fresh.

The quickchange, most likely has a "spool", not real street friendly.
Small diameter clutch, stiff springs, same idea.

I really like the big aluminum hubs, and wide tires.

hadnt even thought about the spool. Have a goldtrack on the shelf that will unlock rear. Ratchet type rearend. Had considered an auto trans. Been driving a trip disc for so long can handle on the street ok. Have to many memories to sell and anything 1 year old in the racing world is outdated. I am trying to build a great handling rod with old school look and hi tech suspension but will consider a partial transplant. Thanks for the tips

ok heres the deal. Mr George has a bunch of old cars and trucks that he says I can use any of it FREE!!! He has 2 1940 Chevy trucks that are pretty rough. The door rockers are 80% gone. Not sure if it is worth it. I have looked at alot of builds and not sure when its too far gone. I am a welder and fabricator by trade but dont want to waste the work. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them and I will let yall help me decide. Got the shop addition complete and have the room now.

race to rat

I gotta put in my 2 cents for that's all it's worth. Love the build idea, might as well use what you have, even if it's not the perfect part for the job. I also like the open wheels on a rat rod. Any body looks cool when it's chopped and sectioned, low and lean. That thread that Gearhead10 sent had a beautiful truck on a race chassis. Goes to show, anything looks good low and lean. Good luck and have fun, this will be nice to watch.

Thanks for the 2 cents cnc. Didnt get a chance to go take photos today. Split wood for ten hrs today. Me and pa-inlaw. I have one problem and that is i over plan at the beginning and change everything when i start. Your rod looks great.Thanks

Just dive in and do what feels right. Your not new to this. You gotta do something about that working thing though, it's getting in the way of your hot rod.....:D
Thanks for the 2 cents cnc. Didnt get a chance to go take photos today. Split wood for ten hrs today. Me and pa-inlaw. I have one problem and that is i over plan at the beginning and change everything when i start. Your rod looks great.Thanks

old school modified

Why not go for the old school modified look? You wouldn't need much of a body to start with, and can use a sedan or coupe. Then add some street equipment (lights and ...?) and go!

BobbyGerhartJ78a.jpg

for example.

440shorty

Here's a couple of views of a 'street version stock car'. Might not be the style you want, but it's a cool looking rig. Sniper

Attachments

• Pipestem_163.jpg
    Pipestem_163.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Pipestem_162.jpg
    Pipestem_162.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 213
Thanks for the thread. I might try a full body car and just chop and section it. Never done it before but saw a build and feel like i can do it. The guy had alot of detailed pictures on how to do it. Here is a photo of of some of my work and airbrushing. Not really a rod but will give you an idea of what happens when i get an idea in my head. Took 1 year to complete and had 24 hrs to paint. PPG base coat clear coat.
very cool. That bench is definately something to be proud of.

ok I've been busy today. Got the car in the shop today and took the body and bumpers off of it. Looks pretty good the way it is but don't think the boys in blue would like it. It is an off set chassic so i think i will have some issues with body placement unless i cut all upper cage and kinda want to keep em. I am planning on cutting the front horns off and dressing them off unless i decide to cut the whole front clip off and make it old school. If i do that I will be loosing the best part of the car HANDLING with the horses.I am planning on cutting interior bars needed for a two passenger rod. Haven't made it over to check donor cars again but will post pics when i do. I took some photos today for yall to stew over and give me your thoughts. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• IMG_8611.jpg
    IMG_8611.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8605.jpg
    IMG_8605.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8606.jpg
    IMG_8606.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8608.jpg
    IMG_8608.jpg