Wiring my scratch built 31 roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanenkrattcr

I have a scratch built frame under my 31 roadster,inline chevy six just because it is cool. I wanted all six exhaust into a lake style header. I think it is coming out ok. getting ready for wiring.
Do I go through the frame 1 1/2 x 4" rec tube frame. or through the body front to back.
Six is tricked for more smooth air. Head bolt bosses removed, cam, Clifford four barrel intake. This car is for my grand son when he drives. He is always in the shop and is working on his welding skills.
Derek is 8 years old. I love him to death.

I have my fuse box under the dashboard, and wires run out through a hole in the firewall to go forward, and through a 3/4" tube I 'glassed into the transmission tunnel to go to the rear of the car.

I mounted the fuse block on the passenger side kick panel in my 33 Chevy. Ran the wiring through pipe clamps(not hose clamps) along my frame using 1/4 inch bolts. Made for a clean install plus, if anything goes wrong like a short or if I have to add any more electronics I can access the wiring fairly easily. I haven't started wiring up my 31 yet and I haven't quite decided where I want the fuse block mounted but I'm going to run the wiring the same way.

wiring the 31

Thanks for the advice, I just need to make it user friendly for him. I'm disabled so this conduit approach looks alot easier for me.
Thanks for the feed back. I've built several A cars and I think this will work.

Welcome from Flawda! I fabbed two gloveboxes in my 31. One to the right side for an actual glove box and a matching one to the left side where all my circuits hit the fuse panel. I'm just old and don't care to spend time on my knees with light in hand trying to deal with a underneath fuse panel. I can sit in the driver's seat and access all my wiring at the panel easily. Ran the wires in split loom tie-wrapped to the inside of the frame. Headlight relays are also easy access inside the frame right at the driver's side headlight/shock tower. No sense in making anything hard to get to on a homebuilt vehicle....sometimes I'd like to get a throttle hold around some of the designers necks on cars nowadays...[ddd:D

.......I can sit in the driver's seat and access all my wiring at the panel easily. .....

I sort of messed up on mine, as the fuse panel is up under the dash, nice and concealed, but a real pain to get to work on.

Would have been better if it were all laid out under the seat, but I thought that would be complicated running numerous wires to then dash.

Welcome to the friendliest forum and most helpful site on the net.
Start a build thread and let us follow along.

I don`t suggest running the wiring through the frame or any tubing. If you have to troubleshoot it and can`t access the wire, then you`re kind of hooped. I used cushion clamps (steel on outside, rubber on inside, bolts to the vehicle) with plastic loom around the harness. The more you try to hide it, the harder it is to troubleshoot.

Welcome from SoCal [P

For sure make sure you can access the wiring, the hope is you never will need to but, big but, if you do you don't want to disassemble the car to get to it.:eek:

Sounds like a good project and a super grandpa at work. [cl

Latest posts

Back