johnny law motors...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

I guessing some of you have used these guys?

couple months back I found they had a special on spindles , around $30 cheaper than anyone else at the time.. and new to their website sign up etc got a further 20% off ..

wicked !! methinks !.. breaks out the credit card, (free shipping over $99 doesn't apply to overseas orders),, 2 weeks float by and there they were ,, my partner was so excited she forgot to tell me !!

anyway $178 USD inc $50 shipping ($248 NZd to my door),, multiple emails and notifications on shipping and track progress etc and even when I opened the carton there was another20% of promo card for my next purchase - within a month ..

http://www.johnnylawmotors.com/cata.../HEXSPIN7/1928-1948-ford-forged-spindles-pair

cheaper today too dammit ... buut then our dollar has slipped against the USD
best I could find in New Zealand was $399 = local shipping

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! BEWARE, HOFFMAN GROUP JUNK!

Long thread over on the HAMB about Hoffman Group and all their storefront names. I have bought dress up items from them, but no way would I trust anything safety related that came from them. Dropped axles breaking, tilt columns having soft plastic components that break under pressure giving you no steering, lots of horror stories about their hard parts! Go search that thread on HAMB, then Google Hoffman Group and read other stories about them and how they do business. Definitely Chinese crap.

Tripper ordered a front end from them before I warned him, when he got it, he looked it over and sent it back. He ended up with I think a Super Bell for basically the same money.

IIRC, that tilt column that broke was over in your neck of the woods, Aussie or new Zealand. It was in an El Camino IIRC.....

well theres a lesson learned !!!

Summit racing list the same Helix part number for the same Helix spindle. hoping I got lucky.. HEXSPIN7

having read some disturbing stuff on the Hamb (THANKS Bamamav!!! will keep an eye on that forum topic ! ) re Hoffman group it will be my only purchase from them.....

Here in New Zealand we have some pretty stringent component testing for rods see here ( https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents.html#hctm )..

including a hot list of "no go" parts In fact after the distant failure of Magnum I beams, my Magnum tube will still require to be tested (although meant to be only a precautionary test ) and certified tough enough for use .. hopefully these budget buy Helix spindles will pass as well..

anyone else run the Helix spindles?

I've purchased from them, not knowing, and had to rework a few things.
One thing to watch for is the caliper brackets. The threaded holes for the caliper bolts are usually drilled on an angle which puts the caliper in a bind and doesn't let it release properly.
Drove me nuts on getting the brakes to work and not have a spongy pedal till I figured it out.
Ran a tap through it on a straight line to get it lined up and let the caliper float freely.

"The throat you cut might be your own."

Hoffman companies aren't alone in this show. Speedway, Jeg's and Summit also flog nameless (Chinese) crap. These companies are sucking the blood from the people who designed, engineered and produced quality products made on these shores.

I'm so, so tired of E-Bay and price shopping. Bottom line, you get what you pay for...

well theres a lesson learned !!!

Summit racing list the same Helix part number for the same Helix spindle. hoping I got lucky.. HEXSPIN7

anyone else run the Helix spindles?

Hate to tell you but Johnny Law Motors is owned by the Hoffman Group. The Hoffman Group also distributes Helix! :eek:

Zipper

"The throat you cut might be your own."

Hoffman companies aren't alone in this show. Speedway, Jeg's and Summit also flog nameless (Chinese) crap. These companies are sucking the blood from the people who designed, engineered and produced quality products made on these shores.

I'm so, so tired of E-Bay and price shopping. Bottom line, you get what you pay for...

Agreed. This front end I ponder the 65 f100 in doing was around 800 more than the one under the 48 gmc. Bit it was a far superior product. Fit better, better components and it is way better looking. The owner of the 48 bought the front end not me. I told him I shouldn't stand behind it. But he still bought it

Latest posts

Back