Already thinking about the next one

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

I've scored a 60's 327, haven't got it yet a friend is bringing it to me. Belonged to his Dad and has been stored in a barn. He doesn't know what year it is, guess I'll find out. It has the double hump heads. Anyway I got to thinking about it'd make a good motor for the next project. I'd like to build an old coupe, maybe fenderless but I want this one to have 3 pedals. Got to checking out muncie and super T10 transmissions and about had a heart attack. Price of a new Hurst shifter is crazy. Think I'll go with a T5, 5 spd from a camaro and upgrade it a little and hope it last. I want something that would of been cool in the late 60's, early 70's. Guess I'd better get the 28 sedan done first but the wheels are turning.

I have a soft spot for 327s. [cl (Please share the numbers when you have them.)

I'd expect you've discovered the differences in T-5 transmissions, but if you haven't, find a WC (World Class) version. Don't quote me, but if I'm not mistaken, some Mustang WC T-5s had the GM/Saginaw/Muncie bolt pattern...

For so many of us graybeards the 327 brings back fond memories VHT. Good for you
402471-1.gif

For so many of us graybeards the 327 brings back fond memories VHT. Good for you
402471-1.gif

Got one on the engine stand right now. With a 283 crank in it. Building a 301 for a friend to put in his 65 Chevelle.
Yeah. Muncies have gone sky high unless you can find one from a person that doesn't know their transmissions.[ddd
Don't discount a Saginaw 4 speed. Doesn't have the cachet of a muncie but we ran them for years. Plus way cheaper, even now.
The last 2 Muncie's I had I gave away in the early 80's. No one wanted them.:eek:
If you look around. There are lots of hurst shifters on places like e-bay.New isn't always better. I've got one still in the box but it's for a 3 spd.:D
Torchie

I run a 327 with double camel hump heads and .125 Dome top pistons in my 50 pickup. It's a good run a little motor. My dad picked it up from an L 79 Corvette that was wrapped around telephone pole. Broke the block, when he was in school they boarded out and sleeved it. Still running the same sleeve the stock pistons and everything in it. He only ran it for a summer and then put his big block in his Chevelle. It's probably got 20 thousand miles on it I bet in that Chevy now starts up and runs just like it's supposed to every time

Latest posts

Back