The '22 Dodge..again.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys...

Thanks, coming from such a talented group of builders ( and that's no B.S.), the feed back is very much appreciated.
I was disappointed not to get the quick change back in time to install it before leaving again, but it just worked out that way.
Being a converted stock banjo, there were some things to machine and work out to assemble it right.
The Lime Works guys were actually excited to be working with such an "old, never touched, piece of hot rod history" (their words :)), which is why I wanted to install it in the first place.
This is more or less a one off type of installation, though a lot of parts available now work.
When the banjo and cover went to the chromers, they pollished them, and some large pits appeared in the rear cover, so Lime Works crew had to fill the pits, then send it back for polishing and luckily there was no more pitting.
They got it back from the chromers the day before I left, so I just ran out of time....again. They still need to locate or make a bearing retainer for the pinion gear, that will fit this application. Photo is attached of the quick change, although I realize most of you have seen it before.

Once again, thanks.... '22

Attachments

• Soon to be added Q.C..jpg
    Soon to be added Q.C..jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 46
Soon my friends....

Yes, been very busy..... Quick change is under the car, had to redo a number of things on the rear suspension to make things work correctly.
New gas tank is mounted, tail light and ugly California plate are relocated.
Pictures and progress report in the next day or so....but I REALLY like the changes. '22

OK, progress photos.....part 1

Here are some progress photos.
First picture shows the mis alignment between the spring and the axle spring hanger.
The axle hanger had to be heated and bent till it matched the spring so the they were parallel.
It took the wife and I an hour to get this done once we had everything ready.

Once the spring shackle angle was correct, the angle of the drive shaft and radius rods mounts had to be changed to match the transmission. 2nd photo shows the misalignment here.

3rd photo shows the relocation of the radius rod mount up and rearward.
The ball joints were extended too far out of the radius rods to be safe (one of many things that bothered me when I originally bought the car, can be seen in photo 2), so this was corrected by moving the mount back 3/4 of an inch.
And I chromed the top of the trans and the shifter after I rebuilt and painted the transmission ,
4th & 5th photo, just because I thought it looked good.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 98
  • RRmount.jpg
    RRmount.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 90
  • trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
OK, progress photos.....part 2

First 2 photos show the new gas tank mounts, the 3rd and 4th show rear shots of the car....quick change, gas tank, remounted light, license plate remounted. Also modified and mounted the axle bump stops.
And the last shows my grandson KC and I. He helps me out where I will let him and is eager to learn at 11 years old. I hope his interest continues to grow.
As long as I am not welding or cutting, he can hang out in the garage.
And yes, my hoist makes it much easier to weld those Radius rod mounts :D

I will disassemble the rear today, paint the axle bells and radius rods, touch up the frame paint, and reassemble. I'll post some photos with the body back on by the weekend. '22

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 131
That looks REAL nice 22. Chrome plating that QC paid off big in my opinion. I can't wait till this weekend to see the body back on.

Doesn't it feel good to fix something that's been bothering you for a while like those radius rod mounts?

Wow , I didn`t think you could improve the look of that car very much , but but man was I wrong , great job `22 , the tank looks perfect on there , and the QC is pure hot rod ........`24

Doesn't it feel good to fix something that's been bothering you for a while like those radius rod mounts?

Thanks, Gastrick. Yes, it feels good to finally fix that issue.
The Speedway mount was my fix for the original problem mount (see photos) which were butt welded (and rather poorly) to the frame bottom by the original builder.
One broke loose, so I replaced them, but wasn't smart enough to resolve the tie rod end issue at the same time by simply moving them back a bit. :eek:
I try and look at all the issues now before I weld something. ;) '22

Attachments

• rm1.jpg
    rm1.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 37
  • rm2.jpg
    rm2.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 43
Wow , I didn`t think you could improve the look of that car very much , but but man was I wrong , great job `22 , the tank looks perfect on there , and the QC is pure hot rod ........`24

Thanks '24, I am enjoying the changed look.
I can't wait to get the body back on and see how things look then. '22

OK, body on..........

Put the body on today and rolled it out for some photos.
Winter sun at a low angle makes shadows a pain......
I will postpone painting the bells and radius rods till next trip home.
I will install the rear brakes and backing plates then too.
Plenty to do on little things and this will give me a chance to think some things over.
It is the first time out with the new head lights also....
I should pull the T truck out and wash it. It has been gathering dust for a while now. '22

Attachments

• cr1.jpg
    cr1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 82
  • cr2.jpg
    cr2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 80
  • cr3.jpg
    cr3.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 92
  • cr4.jpg
    cr4.jpg