Guess I got the bug....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you downsize the barrel and follow the shape of the top portion of the grill. Barrel piece goes under grill with lines being horizontal. Mustache goes away [S

Could you downsize the barrel and follow the shape of the top portion of the grill. Barrel piece goes under grill with lines being horizontal. Mustache goes away [S

Yes...I can only use about half of the half barrel when said and done. I'll cut and play with it before committing for sure. :)

Cut 6" off the teeth, cap and add a piece of the barrel...

giphy.gif

grille

why don't you just take all those snow plow bars off, extend the upper grille down, then use the lower ones to make the lower part look like the top. something like a '32 ford grille shell. it couldn't look any worse. this front looks fine on the original truck because there are other parts that take up space, i.e. fenders and such. i think your idea of using full length leaf springs is a good idea too. less clutter. besides they have been used for who knows how long and are very reliable.

why don't you just take all those snow plow bars off, extend the upper grille down, then use the lower ones to make the lower part look like the top. something like a '32 ford grille shell. it couldn't look any worse. this front looks fine on the original truck because there are other parts that take up space, i.e. fenders and such. i think your idea of using full length leaf springs is a good idea too. less clutter. besides they have been used for who knows how long and are very reliable.

If I had enough skill I would like to see something curve around a bit to help hide all that ugly frame, steering box, ect. If not curved at least something wider. A thick oak board bumper would probably be the easiest for me.

Cut 6" off the teeth, cap and add a piece of the barrel...

giphy.gif

I like that look :)
What about another grille center section turned upside down and connected to the upper with something on each side too?
It would look similar to the 40 Chevy pickup grille.
Maybe Doc can PS that.

1939chevrolet.JPG

I like that look :)
What about another grille center section turned upside down and connected to the upper with something on each side too?
It would look similar to the 40 Chevy pickup grille.
Maybe Doc can PS that.

1939chevrolet.JPG

Beautiful grille, but something that narrow would only accentuate the ugliness that is currently behind it. I need more coverage. :eek:

Beginning to look like something. The real test will be if I can manage to weld that barrel half... :p

Attachments

• DSC05452.jpg
    DSC05452.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 27
The bed turned out fairly well. The barrel is proving to be a sonovfa.... :mad:

Attachments

• DSC05453.jpg
    DSC05453.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC05454.jpg
    DSC05454.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC05455.jpg
    DSC05455.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 28
I was skeptical about the half barrel tank but is looks good.

Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied with it, but I don't think the same idea is going to work on the front. Leaning towards bending/shaping some sheetmetal with cooling holes now...we'll see. The next project I'm wanting to get out of the way before that is to get the turn signals and door windows operational. [S

Yup, it does look pretty cool after all. Good luck with the door windows...they can sure suck up a lot of time!

Actually, these windows are the easiest and most uncomplicated I have ever dealt with. If I had the parts on hand this would already be finished.

What's aggravating is I now have the truck at a point to where it is no longer driveable again, but I did plan on doing these things during the cold weather months anyway. The real time killer will be rewiring this junk...it's a mess of wadded up wiring considering the simplistic nature of this machine. I'm thinking about just ripping the entire pile apart and start fresh. I would like to add/delete/relocate the gauges to a location where I can actually see them and to simplify/minimize all of the switches.

Latest posts

Back