'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's very little 'rust through', just one spot, but the whole truck is beat to a pulp. The truck is very worn out, due to, lack of maintenance, lack of adjustments, lack of fixing, and old age; but it's cool never-the-less.

There's very little 'rust through', just one spot, but the whole truck is beat to a pulp. The truck is very worn out, due to, lack of maintenance, lack of adjustments, lack of fixing, and old age; but it's cool never-the-less.
That sounds like an apt description of about half of the membership here. :D :eek:

I hope that at the first 'Old, Wrecked and in the way' club meeting, they stress the part of the philosophy that you guys over looked. That part is 'Cool Never-the-less'.

And I was talking about a project truck, not people.

After an aggressive washing I've found another rusted area. Now both cab corners look poor.

That aggressive wash was the first in at least 50 years; and probably ever. The city folks that are dressed up 'poor' and going to sit in this truck in the play will not be impressed with the mouse smell and gross little things rolling around on the floor. It had to be washed.
Here's me pushing the Dodge back into the shop and onto the hoist.

Attachments

• IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 60
Heh, heh, but I secretly know that the 'Fame and Fortune' coming my direction is going to miss me, and leave me standing there with a stripped down, potential ratrod and some good story memories.

Anyhow, I'm back from a holiday [way down into North Dakota], and getting caught up winterizing everything.
Today I took the driveshaft off the '34 and pulled the transmission. The bellhousing is in a girdle that won't let it slip out in any direction, so I'm taking out the upper transmission crossmember/clutch and brake mount, so I can maybe lift the back of the motor up three inches and then slide it forward.

Besides getting ready for winter, other, weird, [but good] excuses, and working very slowly, I have seen a little progress on the '34. The fool-proof girdle that was around the bellhousing is finally out and so the engine came out after that relatively easily. It's out and on the floor. I've been painting the wheels duller and mounting them. Behind one wheel that sometimes leans quite a bit, either direction, I found a disturbing problem. The kingpin is not only worn right out it's been run broken for 40 or 50 years while hauling heavy loads of rocks off the fields, so the front axle is worn badly and the spindle is probably--- toast.

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2288.jpg
    IMG_2288.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 33
Could you bore the axle and put in a sleeve? What about welding the spindle up and turning it back down on a lathe? Or just cheaper to find another replacement?

Latest posts

Back