Saving a Botched Top Chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to say weather it is a botch job or meant to be that way as a lot of cars (especially 4 doors) seem to be showing up like this lately.
I like the roadster pick up look for trucks and may do one that way myself some day. As far as doing a car like that it will need lots of bracing to last before the doors start to sag and then open up when driving
Torchie

That windsheild just looks goofy to me. Kinda unfinished looking. :confused: A 4 door cabriolet is a good looking car, somehow, the lines just don't look right on that topless 4 door.

It could be fixed with a windsheld top, and some work at the rear of the cab. Would probably need to reinforce the rocker area, too.

It's a hacked up 4door with no top. Not really worth too much effort unless you live in the desert. A carson top would be another option.

That windsheild just looks goofy to me. Kinda unfinished looking. :confused: A 4 door cabriolet is a good looking car, somehow, the lines just don't look right on that topless 4 door.

It could be fixed with a windsheld top, and some work at the rear of the cab. Would probably need to reinforce the rocker area, too.

It's a hacked up 4door with no top. Not really worth too much effort unless you live in the desert. A carson top would be another option.

That's the problem with most of these "wanna be" convertible deals. The top of the windshield never looks right.
Even the original Carson/Hall tops were designed to be used in replacement for a folding convertible top and use the wooden convertible top header piece that attached to the top on the windshield.
Kind of a sad end to see this halfast job done to a car. Even a 4 door.[ddd
Torchie

I don't see any way in the world that B pillar is strong enough. If they hadn't cut the front roof line down so far into the windshield, it could be salvaged as is as a woodie.

I have seen some that were well done. Mostly 2 door sedans. But they take a lot of reinforcing and quite a bit of work to the tops of the doors and around the top of the windshield and behind the rear seat where the top has been cut off to really be right. It seems that most of the cobbled ones are usually 4 doors and then people try to sell them as "Parade" cars.
Torchie

Years ago I towed an abandoned 62 Buick 4 door hardtop. It only had a stuck float and ran good but no title. I cut the top off to use it in the local parade and had painted the name of my shop on the side. It sat outside the shop a few months and one day a car load of Indians stopped and wanted to buy "that convertible out there" . I explained it was just a car with the top cut off and there was no title, which isn't a problem if they stay on the rez because they don't have to register it anyway. So, $200 and off they go in it. A few weeks later my "then" wife comes in mad (not unusual). She had seen the car full of Indians going down the wrong side of interstate in a car with my shop name still on the side.

Latest posts

Back