48 DODGE Pilot House Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gaping Hole

I got the lid sheeted today. I didn't have any 16ga. so I used what I had
14 ga. It was a lot harder to get it to conform to the frame but it's done.
Just need to cover it tomorrow and will be good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5405.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5409.jpg
    IMG_5409.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 53
Took the ride to the alignment shop today and the man said it would be
$78.00 for a four wheel alignment. Left it with him and went about waisting a perfectly good day.

So the man calls and says come get your "Jalopy". I go in, he gives me a bill for
$35 and tells me the only thing he changed was 2 degrees on the toe in.
So I guess an old fart with nothing but a tape measure and more time than sense can still get it done. Just takes longer.

Thanks for the ride Billy.

I've got a front end vibration from 52 mph to 60 mph. I've done everything I know to do.
New tires
Balanced and rebalanced
New wheels
New wheel brgs
New rotors
New king pins and bushings
New tie rod ends
Alignment
Tire pressure up, tire pressure down.
Any one got any suggestions? Other than don't drive between 52 and 60.

If I'm not mistaken, Don had the same problem and he took his to a shop that spun balanced the wheels and tires on the vehicle.

Pops....Old iron is correct...

I've got a front end vibration from 52 mph to 60 mph. I've done everything I know to do.

Need to find someone that can do an on the car balance...like the old days...(my days as a kid)lol But honestly after reading your post again a thought came to mind..Are you positive that you feel the vibration thru the wheel and not the seats? If it is only in the wheel, then I'd think balance....you know where I'm going right?? Drive train...? But I've seen a rotor or drum cause the same problem...so balanced on the car usually takes care of it....as you balance the whole shabang at once.....jmho

Thanks for the input guys.
DR I've got a steering dampener on the bench. It doesn't seem to be doing any good there. I'll get it put on and see if it helps.

Old Iron and Sarge,
I don't know any place that does the on vehicle balance but some one in Albuquerque does I would think. Maybe a truck shop?

The nice thing about the fenderless state of being is I can see the front tires.
When the vibration is going on the front tires are fluttering (for lack of a better word). They then settle and smooth out above 60 mph. The movement seems to be up and down and not like a shimmy shimmy shake.

Pretty technical analogy I know but that's all I got.

I call that action "bicycling". With your narrow air spring location and narrow shock mount it could be there is too much leverage way out at the wheel location for the shock to dampen the motion. I have this same problem to a small extent on my son's roadster and on my roadster. Both have much lighter tire/wheel combinations than yours which might be the reason it is less severe. Generally on old I beam axles you will see a lower shock mount hole close to the kingpin boss.
It's a big project and might not solve anything but you could put some shock mounts on the axle toward the ends and angle the shocks in at the top to where you have them mounted now. You can always cut the mounts off if it doesn't help. This, if the steering dampener doesn't work. The dampeners help more for death wobble than bicycling though.

Well that is something I never had considered....

Makes sense....if you think about how the majority of the straight axles are laid out...mostly you'll find the shocks very near the ends of the axle...so if mounted more inboard or even on more of an angle than stock, you very well could overwhelm the shocks ability to dampen the rapid movement...interesting thought.......Thanks bob..never would have thought about it....

It's a big project and might not solve anything but you could put some shock mounts on the axle toward the ends and angle the shocks in at the top to where you have them mounted now. You can always cut the mounts off if it doesn't help. This, if the steering dampener doesn't work. The dampeners help more for death wobble than bicycling though.[/QUOTE]

Bob,
The only thing wrong with welding said shock mounts on the axle farther out is that would mess up the inherent beauty I've got going on. No really....

I was watching the tires do their thing and I did notice it seemed to bouncing
The axle side to side. You may have hit the nail on the head. I've never heard of bicycling, live another day, learn something new.
Thanks and I'll let you know the results.

Latest posts

Back