48 DODGE Pilot House Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color scheme.

Got tired of the mismatched color thing so my help and I stripped
the bed and tanks. Painted the tanks and found the right color under
the orange on the bed.

Gonna give it up to mother nature to finish it.
I think it looks lots better.

Attachments

• IMG_5417.jpg
    IMG_5417.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5419.jpg
    IMG_5419.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5420.jpg
    IMG_5420.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5433.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5427.jpg
    IMG_5427.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 69
Front end vibration

I got the shocks moved out towards the wheels/tires as recommended.
It didn't stop my vibration but it did improve the handling so I'll finish welding
my brackets and keep searching for the problem. While I was at it I put heavier shocks on it.

I'm going to take the hubs, rotors and housings off and put them in a lathe as a unit and see where the dang things are out of round. Something's got to be egg shaped, flat or askew.
Then I'll find some place that can spin balance on the vehickie. Is that the way you spell vehickie?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 52
I was reading some suspension info on caster, and it had mentioned that excessive caster can create a shake. Perhaps reducing the caster angle some would help?

I was reading some suspension info on caster, and it had mentioned that excessive caster can create a shake. Perhaps reducing the caster angle some would help?

Billy had mentioned the same thing and I have changed the caster setting to 2 degrees with no effect. I did have a front end shop check everything out and do a 4 wheel alignment. Still searching.
Thanks for the thought.

It's not for sale but.....

So I went to NAPA in the rat this morning,to get brake pads for my Jeep, and some guy in a new Dodge 4 door Cummins dually was looking at my ride when I come out.
Went through all the small talk about what it is, how long I've been working on it, etc., etc.

I start to leave and this other guy pulls up, the first guy had called him. He looks it over and says he wants to buy it. I tell him I'm not finished with it and I'm not sure I want to sell it anyway. He says it's finished enough and how much?

I figured if I gave him some outrageous price he'd shut up and I could go finish my brake job. I told him again that I wasn't sure I wanted to sell it but if you want it for $16,000.00 I will sell it. The crazy guy gave me $500.00 and told me he'd see me tomorrow with the rest.

So I guess I'll be looking for a new project tomorrow, and now I'm thinking I screwed up!!

So I went to NAPA in the rat this morning,to get brake pads for my Jeep, and some guy in a new Dodge 4 door Cummins dually was looking at my ride when I come out.
Went through all the small talk about what it is, how long I've been working on it, etc., etc.

I start to leave and this other guy pulls up, the first guy had called him. He looks it over and says he wants to buy it. I tell him I'm not finished with it and I'm not sure I want to sell it anyway. He says it's finished enough and how much?

I figured if I gave him some outrageous price he'd shut up and I could go finish my brake job. I told him again that I wasn't sure I wanted to sell it but if you want it for $16,000.00 I will sell it. The crazy guy gave me $500.00 and told me he'd see me tomorrow with the rest.

So I guess I'll be looking for a new project tomorrow, and now I'm thinking I screwed up!!

Holy crap! that is a good payday, obviously it is a great compliment to your work and build!

Hero

You are mine. That is the ultimate compliment. Hope doc the next build as well. That guy can figure out the shake.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought the guy would
take it at that price.

Here's a couple of outside pics after the paint stripping.
Maybe the last pics.
Kinda sad I didn't get to finish it though.

Attachments

• IMG_5571.jpg
    IMG_5571.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5572.jpg
    IMG_5572.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5574.jpg
    IMG_5574.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_5588.jpg
    IMG_5588.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 144
:cool: The time to sell is when you have a buyer standing in front of you with a fist full of money [cl
Congrats on the transaction ;)
I'll be waiting on the new project [P [P [P

that guy hopefully has enough sense to not say he built it.
i go to a fair amount of local shows.
and that thing is nothing if not distictive!:D

What a build!!!! Thanks for sharing Pops. I highly doubt I could have let go of it. Get on to the next project.

Latest posts

Back