1937 chevy truck 3/4 ton

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure but ive been using the BBQ paint for the last 9 yrs or so

I used it a lot when I lived in Anchorage AK and the UK, everything rusts its so wet all the time

I had a few K11 Nissan Micras in the UK and those were always cheap cars that needed work,
so cleaning up underside of the car, cutting out rust and putting in new patch panels was normal

replace some rusty pipe and muffler and cover it with the BBQ paint, I never had a problem with my exhaust rusting apart ones it was painted up

I normally put it on pretty thick

this y-pipe I used the ultra high heat stuff and it came out kind of glossy, normally I just get the regular stuff and its a satin or flat black color

I guess I will see how this holds up on this truck

I used bbq paint on a pacesetter header years ago, when my daughter bought the truck back 11 years later it was still on there. [cl

nice work on the pipes man!

57090177_430602771044861_5586958797974274048_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

I spent most of the day cleaning the garage

cleaning the floors and taking stuff to the back yard
and putting tools away

and moving some of the boxes of mini parts to my computer room

the body shop said the mini will be done next week

so i got the rest of the week to finish the cab corners and firewall and get some primer on it and get the cab back on the frame

i started to mess around with the ford 9 inch, get it into place

talked it over with the wife and she told me she understands what I'm doing and that
i need to plan it out real good, because no changing directions in the middle of the build
and taking parts off because they wont work anymore

so i ordered a 4.11 posi 3rd member, and axles, and 1/2 inch studs, and the gaskets and bearings and seals and whatnot to finish building this 9 inch up, ordered from speedway motors

and i ordered the hki air manifold
https://www.hkiairsuspension.com/product-page/manifold-valve-block

and i ordered a 4 link from
https://azproperformance.com/collec...s/avs-parallel-4-link-w-panhard-bar-1-25-bars

along with two slam bag ss-7's, i plan to use those on the front
https://azproperformance.com/collections/air-bags/products/slam-specialties-ss-series

for the rear im thinking about ordering some firestone f9000 sleeve bags and mounting them on the axle in a 1:1 ratio

and i have a York 210 that i plan to run for air, i have to make mounts for it and figure out if im going to put it inline or use the v-belt/serp alt pulley set up

blazer drop spindles, nice, those arent cheap and get less cheap as the years go on

my daughter lives in phoenix and every time she comes to visit she brings sweaters haha.

The spindles were $280 from summit racing with free shipping
The blazer ones cost double of what the regular s10’s do

The reason for the blazer set up over the s10 is because of the hub design

I plan to sit some vette z06 rotors onto that hub, same bolt pattern

S10 blazer suspension is way cheaper then corvette suspension

Mostly because I got the front clip for free, lol

not much has been done the last few days

one by one, we all have gotten sick in my house

today I picked up the hood for the mini from the body shop

its a fiberglass hood

so I built a quick metal frame for it out of 1in by 1/8 thick and then fiberglassed it in

the hood dont flex anymore

it was so bad, and I should have fixed it before sending the car to the body shop, but ran out of time
but the flexing was causing the top center to break,

so I fixed that broken spot where the glass was giving, reinforced it from the inside, body shop said they are going to sand it up tomorrow

they said they need the hood back no later then tomorrow afternoon

so they can finish the hood sanding, and make sure the gaps are fine,

they said first coat of primer is going on the mini Friday
and then they will block the car one more time
and then my red oxy primer, and paint should be going on Monday or tuesday

that paint needs that primer to be the correct shade of early ww2 od green

Good progress on the mini.[cl :cool:
Most people don't realize the difference in color a primer can make under a paint job. I helped a guy shoot an old Ford and he complained because the color wasn't just right. I told him that Ford used red oxy primer and that he had used Grey. He didn't believe me until the paint rep told him the same thing.:eek:
Are they spraying a sealer over the primer?
[P [P [P
Torchie

they said they are going to prime it in 2k, and block that out

and then my primer and paint

i put the hood back on the mini this morning and it was good

and then i built up the cab corners and brace for those corners on the 37

the shell can go back on the frame now

tomorrow i plan to do that

i have a few pin holes that i need to fill but other then that im pretty happy with the cab corner, im not 100% if this is correct, but it kind of looks like the cheese grader metal that was left in the cab corners between the two sides, i kind of got a idea of how it should look

the bottom half of the cab corners was rusted out like crazy, so ive built everything myself, since no one really makes any panels for this truck
all i can do is google pictures online and take a good guess

58374718_442032516340541_3516357821941678080_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

58673874_586249468547090_4984684871315095552_n by joa kwin, on Flickr

now im thinking I should have shaved that hole, it seems like its way to high up on the firewall to be used for wiring

the engine to firewall gap seems big from this picture but the heads are offset
but the rear of the block to firewall is 1-1/4 inches on the outsides

I could have made the firewall flat and been fine but I didn't want to change it up to much

Latest posts

Back