Talk about a newbie

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twarbington

Good evening, (or morning, or day whenever you happen to read this!!)

So when I say newbie I mean it to the full extent of the saying. I have been lurking around the sight for a few month showing my wife all of the cool builds and trying to learn as much as possible. I have never built a car or put a motor in anything, or rebuilt this or that.

So what did I do? Buy a 1948 gmc pickup! I figured it would be a great truck to learn on and I have RRR to refer back on and from reading posts you guys are always super helpful!!! It will be a VERY long build as I will be learning a lot by just doing it. I just want to say thanks in advance because I know I will be leaning on all.of you a lot! !
My daughters have already named it Oscar as in Oscar the grouch.

Btw my name is Thom and I am in Colorado Springs!!

Attachments

• 20150721_201819.jpg
    20150721_201819.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to the site.
Have fun, start a build thread and ask all the questions you want.
My vote is, just clean up the body and leave the patina the way it is.
I love the GMC's

Don't even think twice about it! Roll on!
I'm new too......except for the 6 year long build of mine :/
I'm in Littleton, just a few ponds north of you.
If your ever passing through (I25 and C470 intersection, stop by. You can take a look at what I've done first hand. Might give you some ideas.

Thanks guys!
jml I actually found RRR because of your first YouTube video!!! So, I will probably take you up on that offer to stop by sometime.

Welcome from Tejas! Love the truck... my 1st ride was a POS '48 AD & had a blast in that truck! [cl

BoB

Thanks guys!
jml I actually found RRR because of your first YouTube video!!! So, I will probably take you up on that offer to stop by sometime.

That's great to hear! You'll like this place. It's not just some plain Jane forum, these guys treat you like family.

Anytime you want to come by, your more then welcome.
Hopefully in the next month, I'll be getting back on the rat project. Finally wrapping up another project that Took precedence over mine.

Welcome from Flawda! Your in a very knowledgeable and talented crew here. Everybody started somewhere....nice start ya got on the GMC!

Welcome to RRR! The bodywork and paint look done, your daughter's a real cutie, and your neighbor across the street needs to clean out his garage.

welcome to RRR

First, does Oscar run [S the paint is perfect. Nice wheels a little lowering or just take it all apart and see what you end up with putting it back together. [cl
Most important thing is have fun and include the family.

I went through a 58 ford 1 ton dump for my construction business many years ago.
I had always cursed armstrong steering on straight axle trucks
Well...
After new kingpins and tie rods... You could palm that wheel as good as any power steering I was amazed and i will never doubt them again.

Thanks all!! I'm pretty sure the motor doesn't run, but I can spin the fan by hand, so it just might. There is no filter on the carb and it looks like it is stuck open so I can only imagine what got in there.
Sam, the neighbors just moved in the day before so I think I will give them a few days to get the garage up to spec, lol! That is my youngest daughter, 3 of 3, and she loves the camera!!

Again remember I am new to all of this, where would all of you start? Tips and tricks you have learned something that you have told yourself if I could do it over I would start here or do this here etc?

Latest posts

Back