Three Strikes and your OUT

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked the block with this setup. Mid summer--hot--no intercooler and throttle kinda stuck and did a run away----IN MY FRONT YARD!!

Oh well-- Lifes a bitch and then ya die.

Went NA with a little auto lite 2bbl. Nottalotta fun.

Started back with a fresh 5.0 using the turbo pluming and a free single T3 .50 AR with the auto lite as a blow through, and an electric waste gate scheme I think I saw somewhere. Gonna try and do a half of a twin. Look for 2-3 pounds of boost.

Who knows..

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 19
  • electricwastegate.jpg
    electricwastegate.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 18
YOU old TIMERS STILL DOIN THIS??!

Aww -- Me too. Best I can at least...

Out chopin up junk this AM and made this intake..

It's a drive shaft ..

love junk!!

Attachments

• thumbnail_intake1 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_intake1 (1).jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 14
Yeah I see that...

I can barely do 4 hours EASY shop time in a day.. Even thinking that this 'light' work may be too much.

Took me 4 hours to weld up and grind a cool air scoop for the turbo intake, and I'm now took aleave for the "old man hands" .

Don't see how they do it...

Welded up the cool air scoop from a 3" 90, and a baloney cut 4" drive shaft tube. Attached it to the trimmed snorkel, and it lays just above the carb hat.

Maybe figger out an air cleaner somehow .

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 19
  • coolair.jpg
    coolair.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Making a little progress. Got the intercooler hooked up and test ran it in the shop. Chasing a turbo drain leak- waiting for a gasket.

The free chicom turbo spun fine sitting in the shop. Having intermintent on/off with the VE guage. But nothing caught on fire.. !! Kinda unusual for most of my first runs.

Accidently caught a reflection of shop wall art in the last pic. Some accidents work out.

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Jim. This is basically a T bucket with a cab.

Working the turbo plumbing on an open engine is so pleasant. Just real direct and easy, no stress. I'm even sitting in a roll around chair most of the time. Pretty deep into my 70s so I need it pretty cushie.

I feel sorry for the small car guys. All cramped and tight. Scraped hands and busted knuckles. Stacking on the grill and hood ornament is all the front sheet metal I have to deal with--4 bolts, and it pulls right off.

Livin the dream..

Attachments

• 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 11
Yeah I see that...

I can barely do 4 hours EASY shop time in a day.. Even thinking that this 'light' work may be too much.

Took me 4 hours to weld up and grind a cool air scoop for the turbo intake, and I'm now took aleave for the "old man hands" .

Don't see how they do it...

Haha... I'm 74 & that's the life I'm livin' too! :eek:

BoB

I'll be 66yo in May and I can usually work OK but the next few days after is unpleasant. I was building some shelves in the basement Saturday and yesterday and today my arms and hands are hurting. Talking about small cars, I have an 87 Suzuki Samurai we bought new. Lifted, and lots of mods. Engine isn't bad to work on, but I need to fix the heater controls. TIGHT inside. Not as flexible as I was. :( Jim

Thanks Jim.. Yeah--getting into a T bucket takes some 'skills' I no longer have.. I really like the simplicity of themt hough, and would build one pretty quick....

All machine..

Latest posts

Back