Ford distributor question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacrat1

I'm putting a 1982 - 84 5.0, or Windsor, in a 1964 Comet. The distributor on the 5.0, has about a dozen wires coming out it. This is way more wires than I need. Do I pick 2 wires, and ignore the rest ?, or do I need another distributor.

I know this is probably a very basic question, but eanie meanie miney moe gets expensive.

I'm getting ready to pull engine. Didn't know I needed front sump, and have to drill hole in timing cover for oil dipstick.

If it's a factory ignition, it's either a Duraspark system (requires external control module) or an EEC system (computer controlled). Neither can operate with one or two wires straight off the distributor.

Show us what you have, pacrat. We'll figure it out...

You have a computer controlled distributor, throw it away.Either get a 85 Mustang manual trans distributor that hooks to a Duraspark box with 2 or 3 wires, or one of the Hei style dist s off of eBay. Or lastly, you could use a early points distributor but you will need to change the cast gear to a steel one. That is the route I took.

Get the front sump oil pickup, too. Some timing covers were drilled and have a plug in them, but drilling one isn't hard.

You can do the job with mostly OEM parts. Distributor gear might have to be aftermarket since the early shaft is smaller. Other stuff is local junkyard parts.

Pictures of distributor 5.0

I hope these pictures work. I have shown the distributor, and some of the unneeded? pollution parts. I'm not familiar with stock electronic distributor.
I'm trying to use this motor in a 1964 Comet.

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 22
I have a 2001 302 out of an explorer. I used a distributor from a 67 302. I had to change the gear to one that will run on the roller cam. can't remember which one now.

Steel gear for a roller cam, cast iron for flat tappets. Steel gear is real smooth, a cast gear will have little pits in it.

I hope these pictures work. I have shown the distributor, and some of the unneeded? pollution parts. I'm not familiar with stock electronic distributor.
I'm trying to use this motor in a 1964 Comet.

No wonder you can't get it to run. Someone put the rotor on the thermostat . It will never start like that. :D:D:D

Latest posts

Back