Friction shocks... yes or no?!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Thinking about front shocks on my current project and have never used friction shocks and just wondering about anyone's experience positive or negative. Suicide front end with BB Nailhead providing motication! Thanks in advance!

BoB

I have home made ones on my dragster. Also, my '27 Lakes roadster (sold) had home made ones too. They work fine on the dragster and the roadster was good too. I had to tighten them up every week though. If you are going to drive fast on irregular surfaces, I'd go with tube shocks.

I have used them on 2 projects and they have worked just fine. I drove both with out them and then added them. The don't have any rebound, so they do feel different than tube shocks. But they did work for me. I would use them again.

Haven't used them personally but if you study the ones available, it shouldn't be hard to fabricate some that would work just fine.

True friction shocks are too ineffective and finicky for street use IMO. If you want the look (or have a fitment issue), use some hydraulic lever action shocks. Early Ford Houdaille units work and look good, but sometimes they can be a little large to fit in tight quarters. I use Armstrong shocks, common on MGs and other small British cars. They work great, aren't hard to find in good working condition, and they look "right" on hot rods!

images

Yep, go with hydraulic shocks, Tripper. My one son has chrome friction shocks on the front of his T bucket, and they work well, but it is a super light car and he does adjust the tensioning nut frequently.

Given the choice, I would choose hydraulic shocks every time.

Yep, go with hydraulic shocks, Tripper. My one son has chrome friction shocks on the front of his T bucket, and they work well, but it is a super light car and he does adjust the tensioning nut frequently.

Given the choice, I would choose hydraulic shocks every time.

Thanks Don, that's the way I'm gonna go.

BoB

OI, I didn't post a pic. I referred to BED's pic. Sorry for the confusion.

Toad, I priced them on eBay last year and they have become somewhat expensive. No guarantee they work although they are rebuildable.

Latest posts

Back