Newbie in Colorado with first time project- 1929 International

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool

Man if your grandfather was around to see it now and after you are finished he would not believe it. Great start and welcome to a great site. Steve

29 International

I have a 1930, it was registered as a 9ton flat bed. I had to have it weighted and get a certified copy of the scale weight to avoid regeristing at a much higher price. My cab has been narowed and there is not enoug room for a clutch so I,m runing a t350 off a 64 chevy small block. The frame looks like a Speedway Model A frame. I bought it as an unfinished rod. The guy who started the build put the rear end off center I'm guessing because he had too long of a drive shaft and I don't want to get in to cutting every thing off and put it back togeather again. It looks aa little funny from the back yet most people don't even notice it. The only thing I would sugest is replace the inside of the cab with 1 inch square tubing and get rid of the wood. I left mine tall and put a diner table on the top and left it that way because my wife likes it (got to give a little bit). A frind described the truck as the Munsters meet the Beverly Hill billys and built a pick up. Have fun, you most likely won't see another.:p

I have a 1930, it was registered as a 9ton flat bed. I had to have it weighted and get a certified copy of the scale weight to avoid regeristing at a much higher price. My cab has been narowed and there is not enoug room for a clutch so I,m runing a t350 off a 64 chevy small block. The frame looks like a Speedway Model A frame. I bought it as an unfinished rod. The guy who started the build put the rear end off center I'm guessing because he had too long of a drive shaft and I don't want to get in to cutting every thing off and put it back togeather again. It looks aa little funny from the back yet most people don't even notice it. The only thing I would sugest is replace the inside of the cab with 1 inch square tubing and get rid of the wood. I left mine tall and put a diner table on the top and left it that way because my wife likes it (got to give a little bit). A frind described the truck as the Munsters meet the Beverly Hill billys and built a pick up. Have fun, you most likely won't see another.:p

Sounds awesome, do you have a build thread?

Great looking old truck. Knowing some of its history and it being bought new by family member adds a great deal to it. Looks to be in very good condition.

that looks like a fun one to do, I'm up in Parker and in the Spring's, always looking ot check out other rides for new ideas and such, I'm doing a '17 Dodge

man welcome from florida, nice project, I can just see that thing with a huge blown hemi sticking up in the windshield, keep the fenders lights and all , and a nice homemade grabowski style bed on the back, hugh monster drag style tires on the back and skinny gasser spokes on the front, and and uhhhh oh sorry got carried away , keep us updated, cool

from another binder guy

That is a great place to start. I know where ther are a couple 28 six speed specials here in northeast Oregon. I know where there is another in SE Washington that is a 1 family owned truck. It is sitting in a barn and in beautiful unrestored condition.

I currently have a 1936 CS 40, a 1940 D-30, 1947 KB5, and several 60's and 70's pick-ups. All internationals and all with some stage of project planning-

Here is a link to some of my rides, not all are on here though.

www.ttyr2.com/international

good luck with your build!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont put a small BLECH chevy in such a lovely truck. IHC made some of the best v8s ever. 304, 345, and 392 are easy to find, cheap to buy and have all the torque of a bick block chevy. Plus they have really EPIC valve covers stock on them. I see 345s with 727 trans on them go for $250 running all the time. You cant kill them. If you are gonna have an IH, please be good to it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont put a small BLECH chevy in such a lovely truck. IHC made some of the best v8s ever. 304, 345, and 392 are easy to find, cheap to buy and have all the torque of a bick block chevy. Plus they have really EPIC valve covers stock on them. I see 345s with 727 trans on them go for $250 running all the time. You cant kill them. If you are gonna have an IH, please be good to it.

Yeah I heavily considered using an IH engine, because of everything you mentioned, they're cheap, valve covers are awesome, etc. 2 things are stopping me though. One is transmission choices, with a SBC I have a lot more options. And two is intakes, I would like to run a tri-power or tunnel ram or something fun, and with the IH that would be hard. But I haven't purchased anything engine/drivetrain wise yet, so everything is still on the table at the moment.

All I have seen are dual plan / performer type manifolds for them, nothing crazy like tunnel rams. and Edelbrock doesn't even show them on their site anymore, I just found those floating around eBay and such places. I suppose I could always try and make my own intake for it lol. But SBC just sounds so much easier...

I am not sure of your budget but if i had your project in my garage i would lean two ways. First way would be a bit more expensive but way unconventional and something i have yet to see....mazda rotary.....but that does involve all the computers and censors and vacuums and crap....the other would be, budget minded and actually related distantly to this build....a 304. Ford build but auctioned off or sold to or given to AMC (pre-jeep). From there things were modified to be a cj5 but still, a very unique engine. I spent so much typing that you may have the thing running by now. So drop me a line some time. Id still love to come out and see what your building, maybe burn a few beads!!

I am not sure of your budget but if i had your project in my garage i would lean two ways. First way would be a bit more expensive but way unconventional and something i have yet to see....mazda rotary.....but that does involve all the computers and censors and vacuums and crap....the other would be, budget minded and actually related distantly to this build....a 304. Ford build but auctioned off or sold to or given to AMC (pre-jeep). From there things were modified to be a cj5 but still, a very unique engine. I spent so much typing that you may have the thing running by now. So drop me a line some time. Id still love to come out and see what your building, maybe burn a few beads!!

Haha, funny you mention AMC as a 258 six was our first leaning. Between my brother and I, we own 5 Jeeps, so yeah AMC is kinda engrained in us. But once again we went back to being able to do some fun intake set up at some point, and AMC just doesn't lend itself to such a thing. And I can't stand rotaries. Bleh.

Latest posts

Back