New old guy.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello fellows and gals, Richard here, with a brain full of automotive knowledge gathered over the past 75 years on this planet. I've done engine swaps, clip swaps, frame swaps, differential swaps, transmission swaps and just about any kind of swap you can think of. I've rebuilt motors, transmissions, differentials and just about anything that can be rebuilt on a car or truck. I've even designed and built, from scratch, an entire independent front suspension system with power R&P and disc brakes.

I worked part time on the weekends for Firebird International Raceway in Phoenix (now called Wild Horse Pass) from 1990 to 2010 and was the chief technical inspector, so anyone with questions about drag racing rules and what to do or not to do, will be answered herewith. I also was employed by the National Hot Rod Association 1991-1992 as one of the chassis certification inspectors (using an ultrasonic beeper to check cage and chassis tube wall thickness) and as a fuel check inspector at the National and Division races on the west coast.

I'm not proud of this at all, but I once failed Dyno Don Nicholson at technical inspection. (among scores of other racers through the years).

I'm a member on several other forums where I have over 15,000 posts on one and over 11,000 posts on another.

I LOVE ANYTHING THAT TURNS MONEY INTO NOISE !!!!!!

Last edited:
Hello Techspec, and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta.
I'm not much of a racer, but I have turned a lot of money into noise over the years, with my farming, trucking and building hotrods.

Welcome to RRR! Anything you're working on now?
I thought I was all through, but my grandson wants to put a rod together, so we might dust off the tools and have another go at it. I was thinking something relatively cheap and easy.....maybe like this in the style of a Lakes Modified....
S10 body with the top cut off, leaving the windshield and a little steel around it.
2" x 4" x 0.134" mild steel frame.
Gen 4 Corvette IFS and steering. (had my fill of straight axle cars a long time ago)
1928 Model A radiator shell, set back 12-14 inches behind the front spindle centerline, something like this.....
http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/16041/16041_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
No hood, no side panels.
9" rear with 3.00 gears.
I have located a rebuildable 289 Studebaker mill not too far from me and the guy has a Paxton blower to go with it (ala 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk). He also has an aluminum case Muncie 4-speed that I think would work. [cl

I used to drag race a G/Stock Studebaker, so that's why the Stude motor.

Welcome. Good to see you here. I still follow you on Hotrodders.com but don't post much anymore. My old sick TBI brain has just about quit me...but I do still enjoy reading what you guys are all up to. :)

Latest posts

Back