how do you maintain your flat paint job

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley rider

I know you cant wax it like shiny paint .I have found some products made for flat paint but was wondering what some of you do to keep paint looking good.

Yes you can wax it. We use Mequires Tech 2000 on our satin SEM Hot Rod Black finishes and it makes a world of difference. It only makes it look like when we first sprayed it but dirt and stains wipe off with Mothers Detailer pretty easy, or when we wash them it comes nice and clean. It also helps if I get a gas drop on the body when refilling.

The idea is to not let the wax haze, you put it on and immediately wipe it off with a microfiber towel. If you let it dry you are screwed.

What finish do you have?

Don

what do you mean what finish do I have.I am using Vandykes catilized enamal. it is very smooth when dry, smoother than most flat paint I've seen

I love flat & primer paint jobs. My Ranchero is in red oxide primer & I use it a lot for haulin' stuff. When it gets a lil scuffed up... I just whip out the rattle can & freshen it right on up! Same with my flat black panel & '42 PU. Nothin' looks better than a freshen up but am gonna try Don's tip on my '41! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

I found that a can of WD40 works GREAT! I just spray it on the body and spread it around with a clean rag. It brings the paint back to the way it looked when it was first applied.takes abt 20 min. When it rains the water beads just like it was just waxed.I plan on trying it on my bare metal body on my 37.I`ll probably have to use it more often because I heard it`s water based.:confused:

There's a guy in my hometown who has a slick Impala with a flat paint job. It's a two stage paint - black base coat and then clear with a flattening agent in it. It sure is pretty.

My rod building friend used to spruce up his first rod with some stuff that was kinda like WD-40. If it was looking too dull he's spray it down and wipe it off with shop towels. Seemed to work pretty well.

what do you mean what finish do I have.I am using Vandykes catilized enamal. it is very smooth when dry, smoother than most flat paint I've seen

Ok, I was just making sure your flat finish wasn't from some primer, like DP90. Those take a different kind of care from what I understand.

Here is the problem with WD40, if you ever want to repaint the car it will be a bear to get every trace of it off. Even on the engines we paint, after they have had WD40 on them for rust protection, we have to scrub and scrub and then use lacquer thinner and clean rags, then use a dewaxer on top of that to be sure it is all off.

Don

don does that mean it will work good on bare metal? since it`s so hard to get off? I know that I`ve "touched-up" parts of my 39 with flat Black paint(krylon)without any major clean-up issues,and I`ve been using WD40 for years.:confused:

Latest posts

Back