Why cant people be honest sellers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was doing a walk around with the owner, on a 71 Ford pickup that had hit a tree. He wanted some ridiculous price because it was the first one made (????). As I was looking at pinholes coming through and bubbles in the paint he said it's rustfree. We had the hood up and a couple things were missing, including the belts. I reached over and spun the A/C pulley and he says "and that works great, blows cold" Then I looked inside and the under dash unit was laying in the front seat completely disconnected. You just have to laugh to yourself and move on.

Went and looked at another truck tonight. Same old junk. Actualy it was advertised somewhat honest. Better than the last couple I looked at. But if a truck has a new battery, starter and alternator wouldnt you think it would pop right off when you turn the key? And I guess its just me but I would repair vital things like a gas gauge, wipers and heater on an as advertised "driver" if I were trying to sell a car/truck or at least mention it in the ad. I realy am glad I havent driven that far to look at these piles of .... because somebody wouldnt ended up bruised!

When I sell something, I go overboard to be completely up front with the description so I dont have to feel at all sketchy about anything. After all, when you say something is one thing and it turns out to be another, then your reputation, your word, has become questionable. I dont do business that way, because I try to practice the golden rule. I dont want to drive an hour for nothing, and neither does anyone else.

Me " Does it have any rust." Them " No, very little, only surface rust." Then you get there and the thing has holes you could drive a Mack Truck through.:(

Don

if ya ask me it only had a little surface rust and i didnt see it. the way you described it is sounded like it only had about 2 sq' left of metal lol.

I am probably too honest when I do ads. I don't want to waste anyone's time and I like to sleep at night. I want people to see my vehicle and think I described it to where they think it looks better than described. What I hate is the guys who want your lowest price you will accept and then back out or have you take tons of pictures and never at least say they are not going to buy it. I also am horrible at selling anything, I am no good at haggling. I pay too much when I buy and not enough when I sell.

Technically it had surface rust. It just had more as well. My favourite is when they tell you "large v8 for sale". I call and they don't know what size, I tell them I'm looking for a 360. Get there, turns out it's a ford 289. He says "sorry, I didn't know it was Ford". It says Ford Racing on the darn valve covers you gunsel! Needless to say, I didn't want to look at the rest of the parts he had.

Well I finaly found a stand up guy. He, like some of you mentioned, was a little over board on his discription but thats fine by me. Drove the truck over an hour home with no issues what so ever.

Not a bad old truck. Needs a little this and that but will get me to work and back

Attachments

• 70 Chevy 001.jpg
    70 Chevy 001.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 70 Chevy 002.jpg
    70 Chevy 002.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 70 Chevy 003.jpg
    70 Chevy 003.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 70 Chevy 004.jpg
    70 Chevy 004.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 12
  • 70 Chevy 005.jpg
    70 Chevy 005.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 11
Been there done that...

Was looking for a stock or near stock motor for my old truck, and was looking at lots of ads and there was so many of them that stated "runs great" and when I called them they would say it's laying on the garage floor and it ran great when they pulled it out...ummm...then WHY did you pull it out?
I said that if he let me take it and put it in and make sure it ran good that I would pay him for it and he almost lost his mind..LOL..so I said "I'm supposed to TRUST you, BUT, you don't trust me"..man that gets 'em every time.
I can tell you now that if I plan on pulling out a "good running" motor to put in a bigger one or a newer one then I am going to sell the one thats in it FIRST...and let the buyer hear and see what they are getting...plus I'm sure you can get more $$ for something that they can see and hear run!

Just saw a repost on CL of a truck I made a low offer on. Guy said he had a guy buying it last weekend for X dollars. Well it's on CL for X dollars. Guess his buyer was imaginary.

Just saw a repost on CL of a truck I made a low offer on. Guy said he had a guy buying it last weekend for X dollars. Well it's on CL for X dollars. Guess his buyer was imaginary.

I like that one. I have heard that many time. I just give them my card and walk away. You would be surprise how many time I got a call asking if I still want the object. " Sure at the price I said"

I did that when I sold my truck but it was for real. The first guy was waiting for money from his neice and the second guy had cash. Called the first just to let him know that the truck may be gone and it went. Wouldve felt like a jerk if the first wouldve showed up to buy and the truck was gone.

Latest posts

Back