RatRod days may be over

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAM-LDS-2

At least for me owning one . Not gonna stop going to events and such . Been on the road for 4 years and need some money to buy/build a beach buggy to use in the winter . Also this month I have , ,been using my - dare I say it - sorta billet pro street 47 Chevy pickup with air bags ,big soft seat and auto trans and my body is saying thank you . I had forgot how comfortable it is . Now before you go thinking I'm some kind of wimp , I am 73 years old and the bones just can't take it like they used too . So if any body is in the market for an unusuall , head turning , rat truck , drop me a PM and i will tell you about it .

I understand completely, being 65 myself. When people would question why I didn't cut doors in my 27 my standing line was "when I get too old to climb over the side I'll know it's time to quit rodding." :D Lately, as I have been climbing over the side to do wiring and all, I have had the thoughts that day may have come, or is right around the corner.

After doing this hobby for 50 years now I have to admit that it isn't quite as much fun as it once was for me. Those little aches and pains and failing eyesight make working on them a lot more difficult every year. However, I do think I have one more race car in me, and would love to run the 1/4 mile again.

Second thought, scratch everything I just said about quitting ...........I must have had a senior moment. :cool::D

Don

I understand completely, being 65 myself. When people would question why I didn't cut doors in my 27 my standing line was "when I get too old to climb over the side I'll know it's time to quit rodding." :D Lately, as I have been climbing over the side to do wiring and all, I have had the thoughts that day may have come, or is right around the corner.

After doing this hobby for 50 years now I have to admit that it isn't quite as much fun as it once was for me. Those little aches and pains and failing eyesight make working on them a lot more difficult every year. However, I do think I have one more race car in me, and would love to run the 1/4 mile again.

Second thought, scratch everything I just said about quitting ...........I must have had a senior moment. :cool::D

Don

Whew!!! That was a close one!:D...CR

Whew!!! That was a close one!:D...CR

Yeah, what was I thinking? :D Yesterday I was talking to my ex wife and she said "Don (my Son) told me you are building a mini bike. What are you going to do with that?" Suddenly, I was transported back in time to when we were married and I had to explain my craziness to her. Funny part was, I couldn't think of a good reason to give her, except "I wanted one!" [ddev:D

Don

Suddenly, I was transported back in time to when we were married and I had to explain my craziness to her.

Mine isnt an EX but I have to always explain the crazy, weird, hoarding, "but honey I have always wanted one!" to her!

Mine isnt an EX but I have to always explain the crazy, weird, hoarding, "but honey I have always wanted one!" to her!

Haha - that's me right there. She doesn't attempt to understand anymore, just as long as she gets to ride in it without being deafened (too much) then it's cool.

I'm 69 and feeling every year of it physically. The answer I came up with is the cars/trucks that go short distances don't have to be comfortable and the ones that get driven long distances need to be comfortable.

I do try to build as much comfort in as the suspension style permits.

Yeah, what was I thinking? :D Yesterday I was talking to my ex wife and she said "Don (my Son) told me you are building a mini bike. What are you going to do with that?" Suddenly, I was transported back in time to when we were married and I had to explain my craziness to her. Funny part was, I couldn't think of a good reason to give her, except "I wanted one!" [ddev:D

Don

Key word Don is EX You don't have to explain anything!!!:D.CR

Don

I'm 63. Let's see.There is a seniors group that meets at the library on Tuesdays. Seniors square dancing at the community center on Saturday nites. Senior swim day at Kiwanis park.(grandmas in bathing suits) How about checkers or shuffleboard? Nah, i'm gonna stick with what i enjoy,making loud and obnoxious vehicles in my garage. :)

i'm 63. Let's see.there is a seniors group that meets at the library on tuesdays. Seniors square dancing at the community center on saturday nites. Senior swim day at kiwanis park.(grandmas in bathing suits) how about checkers or shuffleboard? Nah, i'm gonna stick with what i enjoy,making loud and obnoxious vehicles in my garage. :)

yeah eman!!!!...cr

At least for me owning one . Not gonna stop going to events and such . Been on the road for 4 years and need some money to buy/build a beach buggy to use in the winter . Also this month I have , ,been using my - dare I say it - sorta billet pro street 47 Chevy pickup with air bags ,big soft seat and auto trans and my body is saying thank you . I had forgot how comfortable it is . Now before you go thinking I'm some kind of wimp , I am 73 years old and the bones just can't take it like they used too . So if any body is in the market for an unusuall , head turning , rat truck , drop me a PM and i will tell you about it .

Us gray beards understand perfectly!!..:D I just traded my rat rod for a Harley. But this 68 year old will make only short trips on it. I tell my wife "I can't stop growing old but I don't have to grow up."..:p

Xxxrodder

And here I thought I was the only one....alone in my crazy, childish, immature 66 year old mind. Or out of it
????, as the case may be !!! (Two years ago, I was 16 for the 4th time!) That explains it. LOL

I'll be hauled to the cemetary in some kind of hotrod.

I'm getting ready to roll over on 58 and I still ride a rigid frame Harley!!!:eek:.You're only as old as you feel!:D..CR

You don't have to build a kidney jolter! I put an MII on my PU and used front fenders & changed to dual leaf springs out back. It should ride really nice & handle great! Now the old Daytripper was another story!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Latest posts

Back