31 ford roadster or 32 ford roadster?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Gamble

I am having trouble figuring out a body i just bought.. Its a glass body and it came with a 32 shell i know and it looks like a 32 dash.. However after doing some investigating i see the 31 dash looks alot like the 32.. It doesnt have windshield posts yet.. I guess my question is whats the difference between the two cars? I have been looking through pics for awhile and i am having trouble between the 2 without a windshield frame

There are quite a few differences in the bodylines. The windshield mounting and cowl sections are dead giveaways. '31 firewall is rounded outward from the cowling - '32 firewalls are flat and slightly recessed. '31 doors overlap the body while '32 are flush fit. Also the '31 door tops are squared off while the '32 are much more rounded. The '31 will have a seperate lower body crossmember at the rear, under the below decklid panel - '32 doesn't. There are lots more differences, but hopefully that will get you going in the right direction. Of course a pic would be the easiest way to tell. :rolleyes:

31 Roadster...
193031roadsterbody.jpg

32 Roadster
image3pg42.jpg

One more diff, the '32 is made to fit a frame that sweeps upward under the cowl, where an A is for a straight frame. Makes it fun to put an A on Deuce rails!
This difference really helps when trying to figure out what that body is that's upside down in Great-Uncle Herbert's back forty!

Latest posts

Back