How good on gas is your rat rod????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec4193

Hi Everyone.

I was working on my rat rod last night; grinding and drilling (you know typical stuff) and I got to thinking...gasoline is $3.63 a gallon(in upstate NY)...so how is the mileage on your rat rod??.....I mean I see you guys talking about stuffing big blocks and all kinds of big horse power making devices on your rigs...I currently have been grunting on 250 cu. in. Chevrolet engine hooked to a 4 speed...nothing is running yet..but I am curious as what these old rust buckets get for mileage.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

MikeC

the last tunnel rammed small block chevy I had got about 6 mpg..this truck is going to be lighter and have higher gears, so I'm hopin for 8 out of it:D

That's something I never thought about. These vehicles are (Should Be) for our enjoyment, not a daily driver that you would have to worry about mileage. If it runs good, drives good, and looks good who cares about mileage. If you plan to go on a long trip install a bigger tank or plan to stop alot. Just my .02, hope don't offend anyone.

Who cares about gas mileage in a hot rod!

If you want good gas mileage buy a Prius.

If you want a cool ride build a hot rod.

During my cam break in I went through a gallon in 20 minutes.

After spending the money it takes to build one I should think that 30 0r 40 bucks a fill up is pretty cheap.

Reminds me of this car show I went to with a friend. We were looking at a 29 Ford pickup with a big block and blower. My friend asks the guy what his gas mileage was, (I crawled under a rock), guy answers, I really don't know and really don't care, I built it for fun.

Your 250 4 speed with 3.08 gears 28" to 30" tall tires (you didn't say so I picked a gear ratio and tire size) should get you around 15 to 22 depending on how you drive it :)

Jim

Never check the mileage. I just look at the gauge and when it hit 1/4 I fill it.

My modern day hotrod gets about 12 MPG. If I put my foot into the supercharger I get about 10 but I have a big smile on me face when I am doing it. Nothing like a street driven hotrod with 547 HP.

I get around 20 miles a gallon with a couple of mine. Stock small block Chevys in a light car with a tall gear.

my (almost done) ride
has a stock 302
3.00 rear end c6 tranny and 30" tires
i am curious to see what i will get

l know a lot of ya have the "l don't care what" on the milage thing, but some of us have very limited funds to work with. so on that thought, some people (like me:)) have to be fuel concious. l too love to drive my rods but reality is; fuel prices SUCK!

that's why for my rides, a overdrive and 3:25 to 3:5O gears so l can pull 2O miles to the gallon.

the reason for good milage: why have'em if ya can't afford to drive'em [S

Later:cool:

i hate to say it
but i think this rod may get the best milage of any of my vehicles.
88 GMC 2500k 4X4 KING CAB LONG BED
63 willys cj5

Who cares about gas mileage in a hot rod!

If you want good gas mileage buy a Prius.

If you want a cool ride build a hot rod.

During my cam break in I went through a gallon in 20 minutes.

After spending the money it takes to build one I should think that 30 0r 40 bucks a fill up is pretty cheap.

Reminds me of this car show I went to with a friend. We were looking at a 29 Ford pickup with a big block and blower. My friend asks the guy what his gas mileage was, (I crawled under a rock), guy answers, I really don't know and really don't care, I built it for fun.

I agree totally but the reality is I work two jobs to support my toys...I dont have a boat load of money..If I did I wouldnt be on here...Fun or not...I want the most bang for my buck...(you should see my racecar..its a Dodge Neon..cost me about a gallon of gas to run every Friday night!!!)...I am not cheap...I am poor...I watch every penny I make...

Thanks for all the input....you guys are great...
MikeC

I think its very important myself, I'm running a 4.3 chevy with 350 turbo, 4.11 gears and would guesstimate around 20 mpg. No speedo here either!! BTW it's got a 4bbl. intake but I'm running a 4412 2bbl. holley carb!!
If you can't afford to drive it, what good is it???

MPG

My last long outing I kept at a constant 62 mph and got 19 mpg!
427 tall-deck BBC with 3:00 gear!Car weighs just under 2800lbs
In town ...........NOT so good

Attachments

• my sedan.jpg
    my sedan.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 17
I was getting about 12 or so with the 327 on my 40 Studebaker. It was a lot of fun, but not for long trips. I too need to get a little better mileage which is why I'm putting a tuned port, 700R4 and the 3:42 posi from a 87 Trans Am in the 54 pickup. The Trans Am is a heck of a lot more aerodynamic then a 54 Studebaker pick up, but the T/A got 26 mpg with "normal" driving on the highway. If I can get around 20 on the highway,in the pickup, I'll be happy as all get out.

The 48 gets 13 mpg.

My daily driver Yaris gets 42 mpg.

I love the truck, but it kills me to burn $200 in a weekend taking the truck to a show.

Latest posts

Back