Best truck engine for '37 Buick Roadmaster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

I'm buying a 73 to 87 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup as a donor car for my '37 Buick Roadmaster.
1) Does anyone know if I'm better off with the '73-'86 5.7 or the '87 5.7 w TBI.
2) Does anyone know what the (actual) stock horsepower should be for each?
Thanks

The 87 TBI motor still had fuel pump mount just blocked off..So if you are planning on running a carb, not gonna make much difference..I doubt there is much difference in HP between the two also..I know some of those mid 80's chevy trucks had problems with their 700R4 trannies that was upgraded in later years..I don't know what the fix was, but the overdrive gearset was weak and prone to going out..

I know everybody has their own opinions but I was never impressed with TBI. I would either go with carb or tuned port injection, throttle bodies are fairly simple but can be troublesome.....just one opinion......

Thanks for the info.
Looking at Edmunds.com, the '87 350 TBI engines were rated at 210 HP net (engine with accessories). It also reports that in '69 there were two v8's avail with 300 or 350 HP (not net).
1) By todays methods of reporting, would the actual horsepower of the '87 engine be 210 HP or 300+HP.

Do yourself a favor and skip the injection. Slam a carb on there and save your hair and peace of mind! A cam really wakes those motors up.

Toad

Yep....first years were a bummer....

The 87 TBI motor still had fuel pump mount just blocked off..So if you are planning on running a carb, not gonna make much difference..I doubt there is much difference in HP between the two also..I know some of those mid 80's chevy trucks had problems with their 700R4 trannies that was upgraded in later years..I don't know what the fix was, but the overdrive gearset was weak and prone to going out..

sun gear shells stripping where they were splinded to the sun gear, tail shafts breaking, OD clutch pack issues, lockup converter issues, and the list goes on and on... newer ones just prior to the 4L60E had all the updates...so a 89 and up until the electronic are a better choice....JMHO...

Thanks for all your advice.
Maybe I can find a truck that has had the transmission replaced. Is it likely a rebuilt transmission would have the faults corrected, or do I need to find one from a newer year truck?
Thanks

that would depend on the rebuilder...

Thanks for all your advice.
Maybe I can find a truck that has had the transmission replaced. Is it likely a rebuilt transmission would have the faults corrected, or do I need to find one from a newer year truck?
Thanks

A good one would but others might not....if it's not broke they might overlook it.....probably best to find one from the later models...will have the corrections already built in...like bigger servos, sun shell, overrunning clutch planetary section and all the other fixes that they did.....yeah, they had a ton of TSB's and even recalls for some of the early ones....got better each year so by the time the 88 and 89 models rolled out they were pretty tough....TBI motor is easy and reliable as Willowbilly3 stated...nice easy package but if your looking for performance then ditch the TBI and go with carbed.....

Thanks for all your feedback.
'83 to '87 Trucks with heavy duty 1 1/4" rotors are probably the best bet for a brake and control arm donor.
From what you all have said, they will not be the best as engine & transmission donor.
I'll look to buy the suspension parts separate, or find a truck that has a newer engine & transmission already.
Thanks

Thanks for the info.
Looking at Edmunds.com, the '87 350 TBI engines were rated at 210 HP net (engine with accessories). It also reports that in '69 there were two v8's avail with 300 or 350 HP (not net).
1) By todays methods of reporting, would the actual horsepower of the '87 engine be 210 HP or 300+HP.

I wouldnt be overly worried about what power factories claimed
We all know engines from the 70s were underrated, and the later engines were chocked up by pollution gear
Id personally be looking at whats the simplist for you to work on ,
No point buying an engine if you need to be a rocket scientist to work on it

OK Mutt, I've tried to stay out of this, but now since you're not going for a donor with motor AND suspension to use, I gotta speak up for th cool factor of staying Buick powered. Motors can be had running for cheap, and you know who to go to for a Qjet. 350 would be the most likely find for cheap, but you never know, someone might wanna drop a 455 in your lap too.
If you still go for the SBC, I can hook you up with a TH400, assuming you are located somewhere proximate to the east coast. So, (Buick) you take your time (Buick), consider all the options (Buick), and make the choice (Buick)that is right for you. I dont really have an opinion (Buick) one way or the other. ;)

Big cars

Big mid 70s GM cars (Buick) still show up at the local pick-a-part around here (Maryland) so they are still out there. Why not use a car for a donor? They were full frame cars, too, with softer, better riding suspension and more compact frame rails. I have seen cars with the front and rear frame sections joined by square tubing to eliminate the perimeter frame section and set the wheelbase to match the old body - like a G-body Cutlass frame under a '34 Plymouth coupe. Rode great, handled great, stopped great, too.

Plus, one ride in a big-block equipped car, and suddenly warmed-over small blocks lose their appeal. [ddev

440shorty

Latest posts

Back