'54 Ford C500 cabover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thom

I have found a 1954 Ford COE. The cab needs some floor repair but is otherwise pretty solid. It has good patina. I have a small block Chevy and 700R4 transmission. I can get a late model (91 or 92) dually rearend from a 1ton Chevy truck and a complete front ifs from a Chevy 1ton about the same model. I am thinking about using the original '54 frame and swapping the late model suspension and rearend into it. The rear springs look good on the '54 frame so I will reuse them. I know the usual builds include a full frame swap but since I don't have the late model rails, why not? Anybody done it or know of pics of such a swap? Thanks.

Honestly it shouldn't be hard to find a full frame donor in a junkyard. That would be my preference. Much less screwing around, you'll be time and money ahead, and you'll most likely end up with a better driving finished product. Adapting the new suspension to the modern frame will require quite a bit of fab and possibly stiffening of the old frame, when you could get a suspension and chassis set up to work together already and just need to mount the engine and put a body on top.

Last edited:
Honestly it shouldn't be hard to find a full frame donor in a junkyard. That would be my preference. Much less screwing around, you'll be time and money ahead, and you'll most likely end up with a better driving finished product. Adapting the new suspension to the modern frame will require quite a bit of day and possibly stiffening of the old frame, when you could get a suspension and chassis set up to work together already and just need to mount the engine and put a body on top.

I took a look online, and some were done that way.

https://perichbrothers.blogspot.com/2011/03/lucky-neighbor-56-ford-cabover.html

You could find a build log. If you look around.

Take a good look at '73 - '87 GM trucks. C/K 10, 20 and 30 series have bolt - on front crossmembers with front steer. The entire suspension comes with the crossmember, except the steering box and idler arm which mount separately.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how well or how poorly this arrangement will fit your needs, just thinking out loud...

Take a good look at '73 - '87 GM trucks. C/K 10, 20 and 30 series have bolt - on front crossmembers with front steer. The entire suspension comes with the crossmember, except the steering box and idler arm which mount separately

Agree with the good Doctor. A 30 series I ton dually be nice budget donor. lots around.

Latest posts

Back