Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > The "BS" Lounge

The "BS" Lounge Off topic posts & general stuff with no category! You talkin' to ME?!?!?!

Old 05-22-2020, 06:29 AM

Default Oil Question.

My Wife's Mustang oil has not been changed in about a year. It probably has 2k on the oil and has 6 quarts in the 4.6L. Should I change it or is is still OK? I can see both sides, yes because of maybe condensation in it to no because it a good drive will burn the condensation off. I wouldn't think there would be breakdown. I know it is cheap insurance but I take this one to the shop because it is so low and tires are too wide for ramps and I'd rather not go there quite yet. Thanks for any info. Jim
Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

It is cheap insurance but, I don't go by how long it's been in there only by the mileage.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:15 AM
Rocket Surgeon

Drive it and forget it, until it really needs a change. (I change at mileage intervals like OI said.)

Like many of us here, I have several vehicles and probably always will. (I've had some that didn't turn a wheel for a year or more.) I don't worry about the oil's age and I never will, just make sure it's full.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing

Last edited by Dr Crankenstein; 05-22-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Please stand by.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
Drive it and forget it, until it really needs a change. (I change at mileage intervals like OI said.)

Like many of us here, I have several vehicles and probably always will. (I've had some that didn't turn a wheel for a year or more.) I don't worry about the oil's age and I never will, just make sure it's full.

Don't think the oil knows how many months,yrs it's sat on the shelf...
don't remember seeing an expiration date on the jug
Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I change the oil in my truck after winter storage. In fact, any of my vehicles get an oil change after any long-term storage. Most experts will agree that you should change the oil yearly if you don't get to the mileage interval in the year. So yes, you should change it. It's extremely cheap insurance.

Since the climate in Connecticut is pretty temperature, you can probably stretch to over a year without much concern but I'd still change it.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:59 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

It takes millions of years to create oil so it should last the same length of time.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 AM

I was told that oil fouls quicker with occasional startup, needs to be driven at highway temp once in awhile because of condensation.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 AM

Thank you all. I will keep an eye on it for now. There are no plans to take it very far in the coming months anyway so the new oil will just be sitting in there. Even without the lock down this is a pretty slow driving time of year for us. Jim
Old 05-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

On a carbed vehicle I'd be more worried about changing the oil after one has been sitting than on a FI one. Carbs sometimes leak down the cylinders, FI doesn't unless you have a leaky inhector. I always smell the oil in my lawnmowers before starting them every year, if it smells like gas, it gets changed.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:41 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'd let it slide. If it's a lot of short trips I would change more often than if all highway miles. As far as condensation concerns, The best way to change oil is when it has been heated up so as to get the condensation out. Drive and get it to full temp and enjoy it.