Wrapping manifolds?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I hate the looks of my stock Chevy exhaust manifolds. Thought about doing some smoothing and painting on them while I have the engine out, but I've never had much luck with paint on exhaust components. Ceramic coating or something like that Jet Hot stuff would probably look good and hold up, but that stuff is pretty pricey, so it's out of the budget. Just wondering if anybody has used that header wrap stuff on a set of manifolds? I have read it will make headers rust out quicker and will void most warranties on them, but never heard of anybody using it on manifolds. Don't know if it could even be done and look decent. Any thoughts, good or bad? [S

I've only used wrap on pipes that come too close to critical components like the starter or booster/master cyl but have had it on my Hennway on the 4" main exhaust pipe running 1/2" from the starter for 10 years, no rusting. I think it may depend on climate (humidity) and how you use it, like a lot of short drive times combined with long inactive periods.
On stock manifolds, it may be kinda hard to wrap them neatly due to their design, tube headers are much easier to wrap. Have you thought about those stainless Ram Horn style manifolds Speedway sells? Not cheap either but probably no worse than grinding/sanding stock ones and having them Jet Hot coated .

Have you thought about those stainless Ram Horn style manifolds Speedway sells? Not cheap either but probably no worse than grinding/sanding stock ones and having them Jet Hot coated .

I fancy a pair of these Ram Horns for my RPU, just to get away from the huge open headers burning me all the time. Polished stainless, about $400 I think, from Speedway?

I don't really have enough ground clearance to run pipes under the car so I may just end up wrapping my headers.....

I've been told to rub them with anti-seize or spray them with graphite spray. Neither idea sounds too promising as they don't dry and will rub off if you touch them. May just use header paint or make some kind of covers for them.

You might be able to FAB up a nice looking set of heat shields. Maybe have Louvers punched in them? :D

Mount off the exhaust/head bolts. Bent down over the exhaust manifold. Think Side cowls lovers on like '32 Ford.

Latest posts

Back